The Master of Arts (MA) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree program at Argosy University, Nashville is a 60 credit-hour program designed to provide students with a solid foundation for the practice of mental health counseling. The program’s curriculum is designed to integrate the theoretical and conceptual foundations of mental health counseling with training in appropriate client intervention and therapy skills. The program is designed to emphasize the development of attitudes, knowledge, and skills that are essential for mental health counselors who are committed to the ethical provision of quality services. Students completing this program meet the academic requirements toward licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and Licensed Professional Counselor-Mental Health Services Provider (LPC-MHSP) in Tennessee.
The MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree program is committed to preparing students to enter a professional career as master’s-level counseling practitioners who can function ethically and effectively with demonstrated knowledge of social and cultural diversity. This goal is achieved through a curriculum designed to integrate counseling skills, theoretical foundations of mental health counseling, and practicum field experience into a set of professional competencies that students can utilize with diverse client populations in a wide variety of settings.
Courses and curricula are designed to parallel prevailing licensure and certification requirements as closely as possible. However, because of variations among states and laws that often change, each student should check with state authorities to confirm licensing requirements in the state they wish to practice. The American Counseling Association (ACA) and the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) frequently publish information on professional issues of importance to professional counselors, including licensure, online at: www.counseling.org and www.nbcc.org.
• Professional Identity: Value all aspects of professional functioning, including history, roles, organizational structures, ethics, legalities, standards, and credentialing.
• Social and Cultural Diversity: Apply core theory and research of the cultural context of relationships, issues, and trends in a multicultural and diverse society to the counseling profession.
• Human Growth and Development: Interpret and apply core theory and research of the nature and needs of individuals at all developmental levels.
• Career Development: Apply core theory and research of career development, the psychology of work, and related factors.
• Helping Relationships: Ethically and effectively deliver a range of counseling and consultation services.
• Group Work: Understand the theoretical and experiential foundations of group purpose, development, and dynamics; will apply group counseling methods and skills.
• Assessment: Understand principles of testing and measurement, and will apply both individual and group methods of assessment and evaluation.
• Research and Program Evaluation: Understand methods and roles of research, statistical analysis, needs assessment and program evaluation.
• Communication: Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in written communication.
• Interpersonal Effectiveness: Develop and improve positive relationship skills via effective communication, respect for others, appreciation of diversity and cultural sensitivity, and awareness of their impact on others.
Enhance your career potential by enrolling in this Argosy University, Nashville master’s degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program. You can learn more about specific financial aid programs (available to those who qualify) on our Financial Aid & Scholarships pages, or by contacting us to request more information. End your search for clinical mental health counseling programs in Nashville at Argosy University, Nashville.
This degree program is also offered at other Argosy University Locations
Tuition Data for this program at
Argosy University, Nashville
*optional where available
Gainful Employment Information for this program
How much will this program cost me?
What are my financing options to pay for the program?
How long will it take me to complete this program?
What percentage of students find employment in their field or a related field?
What are the job opportunities for graduates of this program?
For more information on job opportunities in this field of study, see the following links on career paths that may be open to you after studying in this field: The job opportunities links are for general information purposes. The program you have selected could have different outcomes. Please check with your admissions registrar for detailed information.