Transfer of Credit & Prior Learning

Argosy University Transfer of Credits & Prior Learning Information
Argosy University Transfer of Credits & Prior Learning Information

Need Help? Call 1-855-725-4299 today!

Apply your credits and prior learning toward a degree

Earning credit for your prior learning or transferring credit from another institution* can help you earn your degree in less time and with less overall cost. (Learn about grants and scholarships)

* Transfer credit is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Argosy University offers no guarantee that credit earned at another institution will be accepted into a program of study offered by Argosy University.

Disclaimer: Credits earned at Argosy University may not transfer to another educational institution. Credits earned at another educational institution may not be accepted by Argosy University. You should obtain confirmation that Argosy University will accept any credits you have earned at another educational institution before you execute an enrollment contract or agreement. You should also contact any educational institutions that you may want to transfer credits earned at Argosy University, to determine if such institutions will accept credits earned at Argosy University, prior to executing an enrollment contract or agreement. The ability to transfer credits from Argosy University, to another educational institution may be very limited. Your credits may not transfer and you may have to repeat courses previously taken at Argosy University, if you enroll in another educational institution.

You should never assume that credits will transfer to or from any educational institution. It is highly recommended and you are advised to make certain that you know the transfer of credit policy of Argosy University, and of any other educational institutions you may in the future want to transfer the credits earned at Argosy University, before you execute an enrollment contract or agreement.

Prior learning can help undergraduates earn a degree in less time

Did you know that you may be able to save time, reduce college expenses, and shorten your path to graduation through a process called Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)? Through PLA, undergraduate students may submit professional, experiential, and other non-collegiate learning to be assessed for college credit at Argosy University.

Important information about PLA

What you can submit

Examples of learning that may be eligible for credit include the following:

Professional certifications such as Certified Addictions Counselor, Professional in Human Resources, Project Management Professional and computer certifications such as A+.

Professional training such as Police Academy, Corrections Academy, Fire Academy, state required P.O.S.T. training and Six Sigma training.

Professional licenses such as Real Estate Salesperson and Broker, Insurance Broker, Cosmetologist, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and Pharmacy Technician.

Diplomas such as Medical Assisting, Dental Assisting, Nurse Aid and Massage Therapy.

Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) can provide education on a variety of topics, often for little to no cost to the learner. MOOCs may be a low cost means of obtaining additional study materials, but they may also help students earn college credit. For MOOCs with college credit recommendations from the American Council on Education (ACE) and National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS), you should submit an official ACE or NCCRS approved transcript of completed MOOCs. MOOCs without ACE or NCCRS credit recommendations may also be submitted for assessment.

And more! Contact us for other examples of credit opportunities including the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). To be awarded credit for prior learning, you must demonstrate that college level learning was obtained.

How many credits you can earn

The maximum number of PLA credits you may earn depends on the degree level. Unless otherwise limited by a state or regulatory agency, associate’s degree students can earn a maximum of 15 semester credits and bachelor’s degree students can earn a maximum of 30 semester credits through PLA.

How many credits you can earn

To learn more about PLA, eligibility requirements, and other important information, call 877-884-8037 or email Members of our team are available Monday to Friday from 10:00am to 6:00pm Eastern Standard Time.

How to transfer your credits to Argosy University

To learn more about Argosy University’s Articulation Agreement with Westwood College please contact an admissions representative at your campus of choice.

College credits you have earned at other accredited institutions may be acceptable for transfer to Argosy University. Transfer credits must fall within the university’s guidelines, provided below and within the academic catalog, and are subject to approval by the campus dean and program chair at the Argosy University location to which you apply. Credit transfers are not guaranteed.

For more information, please contact your desired location to speak with an Admissions Representative.

Note: Transfer credit is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Argosy University offers no guarantee that credit earned at another institution will be accepted into a program of study offered by Argosy University.

Undergraduate transfer credit criteria

Associate’s Level Degree Programs

Students may transfer a maximum of 45 credit hours.

Bachelor’s Level Degree Programs

Students may transfer a maximum of 72 lower division or 90 total credit hours.†

The transfer credit maximums described above may be limited by state regulatory agencies (See State Requirements section below). In addition, fewer lower division credits may be accepted because of specific requirements of a given program

Argosy University accepts transfer credit from the following sources: college learning, extra-institutional learning, and prior learning. You can find more information about each of these sources in our Academic Catalog.

†Students enrolled in the Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology degree program may transfer a maximum of 75 lower division or 90 total credit hours.

State Requirements

Exceptions to the Argosy University policy as required by state regulatory agencies are described below. States with a (*) indicate that the state policy applies only to students who are enrolled in Argosy University Online Programs and are residents of that state.

Georgia: Maximum amount of credit from examination and credit for “life experiences’ is limited to 25% of the total credit requirements of the degree.

Kansas*: 50% of the credit hours earned through campus-developed and administered tests may be included in the instructional base.

Washington: Credit for non-traditional activities may only constitute 25% of an undergraduate degree program. Institutions may only grant the credit if it is validated through a portfolio or similar procedure.

Graduate transfer credit criteria

College credits completed are acceptable for transfer under the following conditions:

  • Transfer of credits requests are not granted until students have been accepted into a program of study.
  • The course must have been a graduate-level course, taken for equivalent or greater credit at a regionally accredited college or university or nationally accrediting agency recognized by the USDE and CHEA. In the case of institutions outside the United States, the appropriate equivalent accreditation is required. Unless otherwise approved by the College Dean, "Equivalent graduate level credit" refers to both content and degree level of the course.
  • Students must have earned a grade of "B" or better for any course submitted.
  • Programs may determine that certain courses are not eligible for transfer of credit.
  • Argosy University does not accept for graduate credit any credits earned as military credit, credit by examination, credit by correspondence, credit for life experience, or graduate credit from non-accredited schools unless offered in an approved program or under an arrangement approved by the dean of the appropriate college of Argosy University or otherwise provided for in this catalog.
  • Official transcripts are required for transfer credit to be considered.
  • Students may be required to provide a copy of the catalog description and/or the course syllabus from the institution where the credit was awarded to validate that the course satisfies the transfer credit criteria.
  • Argosy University will accept a maximum of 6 credit hours of graduate-level continuing education toward elective credit in a master's degree program if offered through The Connecting Link, an approved partner of Argosy University, and approved as transfer credit by the dean of the degree program (see Section Fourteen, Graduate Course Listings for available courses).
  • Final decisions on accepting graduate-level continuing education coursework as transfer credit are made by the program in which the student is enrolled; therefore, students are not guaranteed that coursework will be accepted for transfer until they have applied for and received approval from the program chair of their program.

Graduate transfer credit maximums by program

College Program Transfer Credit Maximum
Business and Management Master of Business Administration 9
  Master of Science 9
  Doctor of Business Administration 15
College of Clinical Psychology Master of Arts 15
  Doctor of Psychology 30
College of Education Master of Arts in Education (program total credit hours 30 credit hours or less) 9
  Master of Arts in Education (program total credit hour greater than 30 credit hours) 12
  Education Specialist 12
  Doctor of Education 15
  Doctor of Psychology 30
College of Health Sciences Master of Science 12
  Master of Public Health 12
College of Behavioral Sciences Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology 15
  Master of Arts-Other 12
  Master of Science 12
  Doctor of Education 15

Articulation Agreements for Courses Transferring Into This Campus

Many students have previous education experiences and may have earned credits at other institutions. We are providing a listing of the Articulation Agreements that we have entered into with other institutions that describe the courses that may transfer into program(s) at this campus. Articulation agreements are developed to identify what specific courses (please note that sometimes there are also minimum grade requirements) will transfer into specific programs at this campus from other institutions under the circumstances described in the actual articulation agreements. An articulation agreement by itself does NOT mean every course will transfer into a program at this campus.

It is at the discretion of the receiving institution (campus) as to which credits will or will not be accepted for transfer. The student should review the articulation agreement to make sure they understand whether courses they wish to transfer in are included in the articulation agreement. Please contact a campus admissions representative, registrar or an academic advisor with any questions or for more detail on specific articulation agreements or to review the actual articulation agreement.

Students should understand that articulation agreements may be modified or eliminated by either the sending or receiving campus.

Transfer Into Argosy's Master's Accelerated Plan

Students wishing to transfer to Argosy University to complete their bachelor’s degree, may also apply for the Master’s Accelerated Plan. MAP allows students to take graduate-level courses that count towards a bachelor's degree and advanced standing in a master's program. Final acceptance is dependent upon confirmation of CGPA and an evaluation of transfer credit. Transferring applicants are encouraged to arrange for official transcripts of all prior college-level coursework to be submitted to Argosy University at the start of the application process. For more information about qualifying for MAP, contact an Argosy University Admissions Representative.

Learn more about MAP here

Credits Transferring From Argosy Into Another Institution

The below links include the specific information concerning which postsecondary institution(s) will accept credits earned at this location

How to transfer to another Argosy University location

If you are currently enrolled and in good academic and financial standing, you may request to change your Argosy University campus of record, unless a program is limited by accreditation or state regulatory requirements.

If you have less than 30% of your degree program to complete, you may take courses at another campus while officially remaining a student of record at your initial campus, except where either programmatic accreditation or state regulatory requirements impose restrictions. If you are a doctoral student and would like to move to a new campus, you must have 18 semester hours of coursework left to complete, not including dissertation, prior to the move.

Internal transfers across different programs are not guaranteed; however, relocations from one campus to another within a specific degree program for students in good standing are automatic, except where state regulatory requirements or program accreditation requirements differ. If you are transferring within the same degree program from one location to another:

If you are transferring and applying for a new degree program, you may be required to submit additional materials for admission to the new degree program. The Admissions Department at the new location will notify the transferring student if additional documents are required.

To begin the internal transfer process, please contact your academic advisor or counselor. If you are a former student who would like to return to Argosy University, please visit our Readmissions page instead.

Request Info