Adult General Clinical.
- Ph.D. Clinical Psychology, University of Kansas, 1996.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, University of Kansas, 1996.
- B.A. Psychology, Lee College, 1991.
After receiving her Ph.D. From the University of Kansas, Dr. Betan completed a two-year postdoctoral fellowship at the Menninger Hospital in Topeka, Kansas. Prior to joining Argosy University in 2001, Dr. Betan was a staff psychologist at the Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center and Coordinator of Adult Internship Training in the Kansas Psychology Training Consortium. She has several peer-reviewed publications and has presented on professional ethics, multicultural practice, and psychotherapy training. Dr. Betan specializes in psychodynamic psychotherapy with adults and has supervised trainees since 1998. She teaches professional ethics and psychotherapy courses.
Work experience: Private Practice (2001-present); Director of Practicum Training, Georgia School of Professional Psychology at Argosy University (2001-2004); Diagnostic Psychologist, Professional Renewal Center (2000-2001); Director of Adult Internship Training and Clinical Supervisor, Kansas Psychology Training Consortium (1999-2001); Staff Psychologist, Bert Nash Mental Health Center (1998-2001); Contract Psychologist, The Menninger Clinic (1998-2001).
- Adult General Clinical.
- Psychodynamic Therapy.
- Professional Ethics.
- Binder, J.L. & Betan, E. (2012). Core competencies in brief dynamic psychotherapy: Becoming a highly competent brief dynamic psychotherapist. New York: Routledge.
- Betan, E.J. & Binder, J.L. (2010). Clinical expertise in psychotherapy: How expert therapists use theory in generating conceptualizations and interventions. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy, 40(3), 141-152.
- Betan, E.J., & Westen, D. (2008). Countertransference and personality pathology: Development and clinical application of the Countertransference Questionnaire. In Levy R., & Ablon, J.S. (Eds.), Handbook of evidence-based psychodynamic psychotherapy. New Jersey: Humana Press, Inc.
- Betan, E.J., Kegley Heim, A., Zittel Conklin, C, and Westen, D. (2005). Countertransference phenomena and personality pathology in clinical practice: An empirical investigation. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 16, 890-898.
- Westen, D., Betan, E., & DeFife, J.A (2011). Identity disturbance in adolescence: Associations with borderline personality disorder. Development and Psychopathology, 23(1), 305-313.
- Betan, E., Thomas, E., & Zaorski, D. (2008). Practical ethics in multicultural practice: Identifying, examining, and responding to the practitioner's subjective perspectives. Workshop presented at the Georgia Psychological Association, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Betan, E.J. and Westen, L. (2008, May). Relational approaches to psychotherapy: 3 hour Continuing Education Workshop. Georgia Psychological Association Annual Meeting, Jekyll Island, Georgia.
- Betan, E. (2007, May). Practice Research Networks: Bridging the gap: 3 hour Continuing Education Workshop. Georgia Psychological Association Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia. Invited panel presentation by the Annual Meeting Program Committee.
- Betan, E.J. (2004, March). On detecting and diffusing rivalries: Cultivating safer ground in training. Paper presentation at the IPSO Conference of the International Psychoanalytic Association, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Betan, E.J. (2004, March). Training at the frontiers of postmodern shift: Tradition, revolutions, and bridges. Paper presentation at the IPSO Conference of the International Psychoanalytic Association, New Orleans, Louisiana.