- Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, University of Iowa, 1976.
- B.A., Psychology, Northwestern, 1971.
Since receiving his doctorate in Clinical Psychology from the University of Iowa, Dr. DeFilippis has been engaged in teaching, consulting, research and clinical work. He taught in the University System of Georgia for four years and has taught in other universities as an adjunct professor. He is Associate Editor of the journals Applied Neuropsychology and Adult and Child, and is part of a research team that has a grant from a European pharmaceutical company to investigate neurophysiological parameters of problem solving. Dr. DeFilippis is the co-author of a widely used neuropsychological test instrument, the Booklet Category Test, which also has computer and French versions. He sees children and adults in his practice, and has extensive experience and interests in the areas of forensic work, substance abuse, learning disorders, and brain injury. Dr. DeFilippis is board certified in both clinical and neuropsychology. He teaches courses in the areas of assessment, neuropsychology, and physiological psychology.
Work experience: Private Practice (1978-present); Professor, Georgia School of Professional Psychology, (1990-present), Medical Expert, Social Security Administration Office of Hearings and Appeals (1990-present); Neuropsychology Consultant, Inner Harbour Hospital (1984-present); Consultant, Augusta Youth Development Center (1983-1998); Gerontology Consultant, CSRA MHC (1978-1982); Director of Mental Health, Augusta and Atlanta Head Start (1980-1985, 1992-1994); Consultant, Augusta Veterans Administration Medical Center (1980-1982); Assistant Professor, Augusta College (1976-1980)., Contractor, Federal Bureau of Prisons and Drug Enforcement Administration (1996-present).
- Neuropsychological Test Development.
- Child Clinical Psychology.
- American Psychological Association
- Georgia Psychological Association
- American Board of Professional Psychology
- American Board of Neuropsychology
- Townsend, N., DeFilippis, N., & Hill, F. (2014). Life satisfaction in former Soviet Union countries. Saarbrucken, Germany: Lambert Academic Press.
- DeFilippis, N.A., Kreutzer, J, DeLuca, J. & Caplan, B, (Eds.) (2011). The Category Test. In Encyclopedia of clinical neuropsychology. New York: Springer.
- Dodd, J., DeFilippis, N.A., Hill, F. & Payton, B. (2008). Lipodystrophy related cognitive deficits in HIV patients. Presented at the meeting of the American Psychological Association, Boston.
- Land. J., DeFilippis, N.A., Dodd, J., & Hill, F. (2008). Validation of Category Test Perseveration and Categorization scales. Presented at the meeting of the American Psychological Association, Boston.
- Klingler, L.K., Hill, F., Schmidt, J.M., & DeFilippis, N.A. (2006). Qualitative analysis of naming errors on the Boston Naming Test in Alzheimer’s and subcortical vascular dementia. Presented at the annual meeting of the National Academy of Neuropsychology, San Antonio.
- Jacobs, M., Prosje, M., DeFilippis, N.A. & Hill, F. (2005). Anosmia and executive functions in a head injured population. Presented at the annual meeting of the National Academy of Neuropsychology, Tampa.
- DeFilippis, N. A. (2002). The Category Test, Computer Version. Odessa, Florida: Psychological Assessment Resources.
- DeFilippis, N. A. & McCampbell, E. (2002). Booklet Category Test, French version of test with new norms and scales. Paris: ECPA.
- DeFilippis, N.A. & Dodd, J. The history of the Category Test, a review of its development and research on new interpretive scales. Invited address to Psychology Department, University of Aveiro, Portugal. May, 2009.
- DeFilippis, N.A. Basics of neuropsychological testing. Invited address to the State Bar of Georgia. March, 2007.
- DeFilippis, N.A. Neurobiology of addiction. Invited presentation to Magistrate Judges’ Retreat, United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia, September, 2002.
- Cown, M & DeFilippis, N. (2014, August). Local norms for validity scales for police pre-employment psychological screenings. Poster session presented at the 2014 annual conference of the American Psychological Association, Washington, DC.
- Townsend, N., DeFilippis, N., & Hill, F. (2014, August). Variables impacting life satisfaction in former Soviet Union countries. Poster session presented at the 2014 annual conference of the American Psychological Association, Washington, DC.
- Costa, J., Santos, I., Silva, C., & DeFilippis, N. (2014, November). Portuguese norms of the Halstead Category Test: Preliminary data. Presented at the 2014 National Academy of Neuropsychology Conference, Fajardo, Puerto Rico.
- Zimmerman, E., Burns,T.,& DeFilippis, N.A. Proposed score adjustment for executive functioning constructs on the California Verbal Learning Test-Children’s Version with a pediatric traumatic brain injury population. National Academy of Neuropsychology, 2011, Florida.
- Webb, D., Collins, M.,DeFilippis, N.A & Hill, F. Reliability of the Clinical Dementia Rating Scale with a traumatic brain injury population; National Academy of Neuropsychology, 2011, Florida.