Areas of Focus:
- Ph.D., Human Development and Mental Health, University of Chicago, 2001.
- M.Ed., Counseling Psychology, Columbia University, Teachers College, 1994.
- B.A., Psychology, University of California at Berkeley, 1991.
Dr. Bae is interested in cross-cultural psychology, professional development of psychotherapists, multicultural counseling, supervision and mentoring, and international psychology. Dr. Bae has been working with diverse populations including children, adolescents, and adults in residential, outpatient, and community mental health settings. In addition to being a clinician, she has worked as a diversity consultant for various organizations. Her most recent clinical involvement has been with her private practice where she specializes in treating anxiety related disorders using CBT/ERP. She is a graduate of the Behavior Therapy Training Institute (BTTI) and an active member of the International OCD Foundation and OCD Midwest. In addition, she has been the co-chair of the Division of Women of the Asian American Psychological Association. She is also the founder of the Division of Women Midwest Chapter. Dr. Bae can be reached at 312-777-7682 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cross-Cultural Psychology.
- Professional Development.
- Multicultural Psychotherapy.
- International Psychology.
- Asian American Journal of Psychology.
- American Psychological Association.
- Society for Psychotherapy Research.
- International OCD Foundation.
- Illinois Psychological Association.
- Bae, S. & Orlinsky, D. (2006). Gender, marital status, and age: Their impact on psychotherapists in Korea. Asian Journal of Women's Studies.
- Joo, E., Bae, S., & Orlinsky, D. (2005). Korean psychotherapists' self-report on strengths and limitations in practice: An exploratory qualitative study. Korean Social Science Journal, 32 (2). 71-89.
- Orlinsky, D., Ronnestad, H., Aapro, N. Ambuhl, H., Bae, S., Beutler, L., Botermans, J-F., Frijs-Jorgensen, E., Joo, E., Kalmykova, E., Meyerberg, J., Norcross, J., Northcut, T., Parks, B., Scherb, E., Schroder, T., Shefler, G., Smith, D., & Wiseman, H. (2005). The Psychotherapists. In D. Orlinsky & H. Ronnestad (Eds.) How psychotherapists develop: A study of therapeutic work and professional growth. Washington DC: American Psychological Association.
- Bae, S. and Orlinsky, D. (2004). The experience of professional autonomy among psychotherapists in Korea and the United States. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 28(6). 481-505.
- Bae, S. H., Joo, E. & Orlinsky, D. E. (2003). Psychotherapists in South Korea: Professional and practice characteristics. Psychotherapy: Theory/Research/Practice/Training, 40(4). 302-316.
- Joo, E. S., Bae, S. H., & Orlinsky, D. E. (2003). The professional and practice characteristics of Korean psychotherapists: Based on the 'International Study of the Development of Psychotherapists'. Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 15(3). 423-440.
- Orlinsky, D., Ronnestad, H., Ambuhl, H., Bae, S., Beutler, L., Cierpka, M., Joo, E., von der Lippe, A., Meyerberg, J., Norcross, J., Northcut, T., Silverman, M., Stuart, S., & Willutzki, U. (submitted). Psychotherapist sample profiles from different countries: How do psychotherapists develop? Cultural Dynamics.
- Ng, W., Bae, S., Ng, K., & Orlinsky, D. (submitted). Psychotherapists in Malaysia: A Preliminary study on clinical psychologists. Psychotherapy Research.
- Bae, S. H. & Woolford-Hunt C. (submitted). Teaching diversity in psychology: theory, practice, and training. Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood.
- Orlinsky, D., Ambuhl, H., Ronnestad, M.H., Davis, J.D., Gerin, P., Davis, M., Willutzki, U., Botermans, J-F., Dazord, A., Cierpka, M., Aapro, N. Buchheim, P., Bae, S., Davidson, C., Frijs-Jorgensen, E., Joo, E., Kalmykova, E., Meyerberg, J., Northcut, T., Parks, B., Scherb, E., Schroder, T., Shefler, G., & Wiseman, H. (1999). The development of psychotherapists: Concept, questions, and methods of a collaborative international study. Psychotherapy Research, 9(2). 127-153.
- Ng, W. & Bae, S. (2012). Personal and professional characteristics of clinical psychologists in Malaysia: A preliminary study. In Noor, N. & Dzulkifli, M. (Eds.) Psychology in Malaysia: current research and future directions. Kuala Lumpur: Pearson Malaysia Sdn Bhd.
- Bae, S. (June, 2010). "Diversity Training: Integrating Theory and Research into Practice" Argosy University, Chicago Alumni Association's Annual Conference, Chicago Illinois.
- Bae, S. (March, 2006). "Salient Clinical Issues to Consider When Working with College Students of Korean Decent" Northwestern University Counseling and Psychological Services, Evanston, Illinois.
- Bae, S. (November, 2005). "Multimodal Case Conference" Illinois School of Professional Psychology, Chicago, Illinois.
- Bae, S. & Myket, S. (October, 2005). "Children and Adolescents with Anxiety Disorders: How Are They Different from Adult Patients?" Provena-Mercy Hospital, Aurora, Illinois.
- Bae, S. (August, 2005). "Psychotherapy with Children and Adolescents in the United States" Chosun University Hospital, Kwangjoo, South Korea.
- Shore, K., Bae, S., & Haines, R. (July, 2011). "A Cross Cultural Educational Parent Training: A Follow-Up Study" European Congress of Psychology, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Shore, K. & Bae, S. (May, 2010). "A.C.C.E.P.T.: A Cross-Cultural Experiential Parent Training" Society for Exploration of Psychotherapy Integration, Florence, Italy.
- Bae, S. (June 2009). "A Qualitative Examination of Mentoring Relationship: Minority Students' Perspective" Society for Psychotherapy Research, Santiago, Chile.
- Workman, G., Lee, M., & Bae, S. (June 2008). "MCMI-III Personality Styles of Korean and Chinese American Students" Society for Psychotherapy Research, Barcelona, Spain.
- Bae, S., Powell, S., & Palmer, T. (June, 2007). "Diversity Training at Graduate School: Do Students Change?" Society for Psychotherapy Research, Madison, Wisconsin, USA.