Areas of Focus:
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- PsyD, Clinical Psychology, Forest Institute of Professional Psychology, 1986.
- MA, Counseling Psychology, Western Michigan University, 1977.
- BS, Psychology, Western Michigan University, MI, 1975.
Marc Oster, PsyD, ABPH. is a Professor and core faculty member in the Clinical Psychology program of the Illinois School of Professional Psychology at Argosy University, Schaumburg. Dr. Oster received his Psy.D. degree in Clinical Psychology from the Forest Institute of Professional Psychology in 1986, and a certificate in Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy from Adler School of Professional Psychology in 1995. He has achieved Diplomate status with the American Board of Psychological Hypnosis, and is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association. In addition, Dr. Oster is a Life Fellow and Past President of the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. He currently serves as a Past President of the American Board of Psychological Hypnosis and was a trustee of the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis Education and Research Foundation. He has been a Consulting Psychologist for several organizations including media outlets, the United States Navy Medical Corps, and the United States Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Administration. Dr. Oster has numerous presentations, workshops, and publications to his credit. Before joining ISPP, Dr. Oster was a Professor and Core Faculty member at Adler School of Professional Psychology, where he developed an ASCH-approved curriculum for a Certificate in Clinical Hypnosis. He has taught in the areas of clinical hypnosis, forensic psychology, psychological report writing, and behavioral medicine. In addition to teaching, Dr. Oster is currently involved in psychological testing and evaluation of fire fighter and police candidates, maintains a private practice in the Chicago suburbs, and continues to act as a Consulting Psychologist to several organizations including the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation. His professional interests also include health psychology, career development of psychologists, and professional practice alternatives.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Certificate in Cognitive-Behavior Therapy (#0072), Center for Cognitive Therapy, Training, and Research, Adler School of Professional Psychology, 1995.
- Diplomate, American Board of Psychological Hypnosis (ABPH, #214)
- Approved Consultant in Clinical Hypnosis (#081), American Society of Clinical Hypnosis
- American Psychological Association, Fellow
- American Society of Clinical Hypnosis, Life Fellow
- American Board of Psychological Hypnosis, Board Member
- Oster, M.I. & Frischholz, E.J. (2010) Herbert Spiegel, MD: Pioneer in Hypnosis and Psychotherapy 1914-2009. ASCH Newsletter, Spring 2010.
- Gritzalis, N., Oster, M.I., & Frischholz, E.J. (2009). A Concurrent Validity Study between the Hypnotic Induction Profile (HIP) and the Stanford Hypnotic Clinical Scale for Adults (SHCS:A) in an Inpatient Sample: A Brief Report. American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, 52:2, pp 89-93.
- Oster, M.I. (2006). Treating Treatment Failures: Hypnotic Treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder; and Hypnosis: History, Theory and Application. In R. Chapman (ed.) The clinical use of hypnosis in cognitive behavioral therapy: A practitioners' casebook. New York: Springer.
- Kayumov, L., Hawa, R., Shapiro, C.M., Kurland, H.D., Oster, M.I., Borenstein, J., & Golbin, A.Z. (2004). Alternative therapies in sleep medicine (Ch 8, pp. 379-396). In A.Z. Golbin, H.M. Kravitz, & L.G. Keith (Eds.) Sleep Psychiatry. New York: Taylor Francis.
- Oster, M.I. (2004). Hypnosis: A Modern Challenge to Adlerian Psychology. Japanese Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, vol. 5 (March), pp. 9-16.
- Oster, M.I. (2004). For Development of Hypnotherapy (Symposium: Hypnosis in the near future-toward the 21st century). Japanese Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, vol. 5 (March), pp. 45-46.
- Oster, M.I. (2003). Efficacy or Effectiveness: Which Came First, the Cure or the Treatment? Invited Commentary, American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, 46:1, pp. 3-10.
- Oster, M. I. (2003). Book Review, Finding the Energy to Heal by Maggie Phillips. New York: Norton (2000) in the American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, 45:3, pp. 270-272.
- Oster, M.I. (2000). Contemporary Methods in Hypnotic Preparation for Childbirth. CRNA: The Clinical Forum for Nurse Anesthetists, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1-8.
- Oster, M.I. & Sauer, C.P. (2000). Hypnotic Methods for Preparing for Childbirth. In L. M. Hornyak and J. Green (eds) Healing from Within: The Use of Hypnosis in Women's Health Care. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association Books, Inc. MacHovec, F.J. and Oster, M.I. (1999). In the Best of Families: Understanding Hypnosis Complications in Graduate and Post Graduate Training Experiences. American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, 42:1, pp. 3-8. Recipient, Milton H. Erickson Award, 2000.
- Oster, M.I. Successfully Treating Treatment Failures: Assessment and Hypnotherapy for Complex Cases. The 9th International Congress on Ericksonian Approaches to Hypnosis and Psychotherapy. Phoenix, AZ, 2004.
- Oster, M.I. Hypnosis: A Modern Day Challenge for Adlerian Psychology. Plenary Address, Japanese Society of Clinical Hypnosis Annual Congress, Kyoto, Japan, 2003.
- Oster, M.I. Invited Presentation: Successfully Treating Treatment Failures: Using the Patient's Trauma Symptoms. Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Clinical Hypnosis ? Alberta Division, Banff Alberta Canada, 2003.
- Invited address: The Effective use of Hypnosis as an Adjunct to Another Clinician's Treatment. Chicago Society of Clinical Hypnosis' Annual Case Conference. Chicago, IL 2002.
- Invited Presenter: 2nd Annual Kay F. Thompson, DDS Memorial Symposium, West Virginia University Hypnosis Study Group, 2000.
- Oster, M.I. Mind-Body Therapy Solutions for Long Term Success for Body-Dysmorphia Patients Following Significant Weight Loss. Chicago Society of Clinical Hypnosis, May 2011.
- Barr, T. and Oster, M.I. Hypnosis for Weight Loss & Lasting Success: Avoiding the "Adipose Complex. Workshop presented at the Annual Schientifc Meeting and Workshops of the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. Las Vegas, NV, March 2011.
- Oster, M.I. (Moderator), Weisburg, M. B. & Daniel, S. Webinar: "Hypnosis and Integrative Medicine: How They Can Help Your Practice." American Society of Clinical Hypnosis, February 2011.
- Oster, M.I. & Sauer, C.P. Mind-Body Brief Therapy Solutions for Long Term Success in Body-Dysmorphia Patients. Short Course: Milton H. Erickson Foundation Brief Therapy Conference: Lasting Solutions, Orlando, FL, December 2010.
- Discussant, "Prisoner of her Past" documentary screened at Spertus Jewish Studies Institute, Chicago, IL November 2010.