Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Ph.D. August, 1979. Psychology (Experimental emphasis) Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois.
- M.S. June, 1977. Psychology Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois.
- B.A. August, 1975. Psychology Indiana University at South Bend, Indiana.
Sandra Lema-Stern, Ph.D., is a Professor and one of the original core Clinical Psychology faculty members at The Illinois School of Professional Psychology at Argosy University, Schaumburg. She received her both her Ph.D. and master's degree in Psychology (Experimental emphasis) from Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. Dr. Lema-Stern has extensive graduate teaching experience, having taught at the graduate level for twenty years. She currently focuses her teaching on cognitive-behavioral therapy, group therapy, and statistics and research design. She has conducted research in a broad range of areas including perceptual processes and vision research; teaching and learning styles and course design; group and organizational processes; domestic violence treatment and treatment evaluation. In addition to her academic activities, Dr. Lema-Stern has extensive clinical experience through private practice, providing therapy for individuals, couples, and groups. She is a recognized expert in the area of domestic violence, having developed, along with Dr. James Dugo, one of the first programs for male perpetrators to be in compliance with state protocol for treatment. With Dr. Dugo, she has developed a model that helps clinicians to conceptualize problems of anger and resistance and to engage clients who have these problems in the change process.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Statisitics and Research Methodology
- Group Processes and Group Psychotherapy
- Domestic Violence
- American Psychological Association Division of Peace Psychology Society of Group Psychology and Group PsychotherapyMidwestern Psychological AssociationSigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society. (President, Lake Forest College Chapter, 1990.)
- Lema Stern, S. (1989). From self evaluation to college wide planning: The evolution of a planning committee. In A collection of papers on self study and institutional improvement. Chicago, IL: North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Also presented at the North Central Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL. April, 1989.
- Jacokes, L. E., Fischer, E. W., Lema Stern, S., and Hettich, P. (1989). Evaluation and institutional mission. In Proceedings of Academic Chairpersons: Evaluation of Faculty, Students and Programs. National Issues in Higher Education, 31, Kansas State University. Also presented at the Sixth Annual Conference for Academic Chairpersons, Orlando, FL, February, 1989.
- Hettich, P. and Lema Stern, S. (1989). Professional development opportunities in small colleges. Teaching of Psychology, 16, 12 16. Also presented at the 95th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, New York, September,1987.
- Lema Stern, S.A., Jacokes, L., and Hettich P. (1987). Governance: A model for review and change. In Proceedings of Academic Chairpersons: Organizational Structure, Change, and Development. National Issues in Higher Education, 25, Faculty Evaluation and Development Center, Kansas State University. Also presented at the Fourth Annual Conference for Academic Chairpersons, Orlando, FL, February, 1987.
- Hettich, P., Lema Stern, S.A., and Rizzo, J.V. (1981, 1987). Dear graduate student (and future professor). Teaching of Psychology, 8, 156 158. Reprinted in Handbook on Student Development: Advising, Career Development. and Field Placement edited by Mark E. Ware and Richard J. Miller, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers, 198 1. Also presented at the 88th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, Montreal, September, 1980.
- Lema Stern, S. (1982). Children's visual attention: Effects of color, complexity, movement, and incongruity. ERIC document, #ED 208 874. Also presented at the 88th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, Montreal, September, 1980. Blake, R., Overton, R., and Lema Stem, S. (1981). Interocular transfer of visual aftereffects. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 1, 367 381.
- Lema Stern, S.A. and Gottswald, R.L. (1979). Effects of semantic cues in dichoptic presentation. Bulletin of the Psychonomic Sociely.,_13, 215 218.
- Blake, R. and Lema, S.A. (1978). Inhibitory effect of binocular rivalry suppression is independent of orientation. Vision Research, 18, 541 544.
- Camisa, J., Blake, R., and Lema, S.A. (1977). Effects of temporal modulation on the oblique effects in humans. Perception, 6, 166 171.
- Lema, S.A. and Blake, R. (1977). Binocular summation in normal and stereo blind individuals. Vision Research, 17, 691 695. Also presented at the 17th Annual Meeting of the Psychonomic Society, St. Louis, MO, November, 1976.
- Dugo, J. and Lema-Stern, S. (invited speakers, October, 2011). Conceptualizing Anger and Resistance and Engaging Clients in the Chapge Process. The 14th Annual Conference of the International Center for the Study of Psychiatry and Psychology (transitioning to new name as the International Society for Ethical Psychology and Psychiatry) in Los Angeles, CA.
- Dugo, J. and Lema-Stern, S. (June, 2008.) Working with resistance and aggression in group therapy. A workshop (as invited speakers) presented at the Northern California Group Psychotherapy Society’s 43rd Clinical Conference. Pacific Grove, CA.
- Dugo, J. and Lema-Stern, S. (June, 2008.) Critical issues in the later stages of Beck’s model of group development and implications for individual change. A workshop (as invited speakers) ) presented at the Northern California Group Psychotherapy Society’s 43rd Clinical Conference. Pacific Grove, CA.
- Lema Stern, S. Teaching: Some thoughts on Process. (April, 1991). Invited address as the recipient of the Sears Roebuck Foundation Award for Teaching Excellence and Campus Leadership. Barat College, Lake Forest, IL.
- Miller, G. G., Juzwin, K R., & Lema-Stern, S. (October, 2011). The Importance of the Psychological Interview and Going Beyond the Instrument Data: A Case Study of Multiple Interviews of a Law Enfocement Candidate. The 37th Annual Conference of the Society for Police and Criminal Psychology. Chicago, IL.
- Anderson, R., Kukoleck, K., Lema-Stern, S. & Gralewski, C. (April, 2011). Factors Affecting Older Adults’ Perceived Experiences of Positive and Negative Ageism. Presentation at the 2011 Aging in America Conference, Annual Conference of the American Society on Aging, San Francisco, CA.
- Welch, M., Dodzik, P., Williams, R., Lema-Stern, S., Miles, E., Wood, N., Costantino, C. (March, 2011). Effects of Pharmacological Interventions on Dementia Rating Scale -2 Scores in Elderly Patients with Mild Cognitive Impairment and Alzheimer’s Dementia. Poster presented at the American College of Professional Neuropsychology, Las Vegas, NV.
- Welch, M., Dodzik, P., Williams, R., Lema-Stern, S., Miles, E., Wood, N., Costantino, C. (March, 2011). Effects of Pharmacological Interventions on the Repeatable Battery of Neuropsychological Status Scores in Elderly Patients with Mild Cognitive Impairment and Alzheimer’s Dementia. Poster presented at the American College of Professional Neuropsychology, Las Vegas, NV.
- Dugo J. and Lema-Stern, S. (June, 2009). Working with Angry and Aggressive Offenders. Workshop for the Illinois Department of Corrections. Correctional Psychology Training Program. Starved Rock Conference, Starved Rock, IL.