Research Methods and Statistics
- Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, Concentration: Biostatistics, Loma Linda University, 2000
- M.A., Community Psychology, New York University, 1993
- B.A., Psychology, University of California Berkeley , 1989
Bina Parekh, PhD is an Associate Professor and Clinical Psychology faculty member at The American School of Professional Psychology at Argosy University | Southern California (ASPP, Southern California).Dr. Parekh completed her Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology and minor concentration in Biostatistics from Loma Linda University. After finishing her Ph.D. she completed a two-year Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Department of Psychiatry at Kaiser Permanente in Milpitas, California specializing in general psychiatry, behavioral medicine, trauma and chemical dependency. She has teaching experience in the areas of cross-cultural psychology, research methods/statistics, and psychopathology at U.C. Irvine, California State University, Fullerton and California State University, San Bernardino. She has served as a project coordinator for several large grants at the Behavioral Health Institute at San Diego State University(SDSU) and acted as a clinical supervisor in the joint doctoral program between SDSU and U.C. San Diego. She has published several peer reviewed papers in the areas of cross- cultural psychology and behavioral health. Dr. Parekh has worked in the area of pain management, obesity treatment, addiction medicine, general psychiatry, and multicultural counseling. Currently, Dr. Parekh is a California licensed psychologist and has her own private practice specializing in health psychology. Dr. Parekh teaches courses in the areas of research methods, statistics, clinical interviewing, diversity, and health psychology.
- Research Methods and Statistics
- Health Psychology
- Chemical Dependency
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Chronic Pain Foundation
- American Academy of Pain Management
- Health Psychology - APA Division 38
- Evaluation, Measurement, and Statistics -APA Division 5
- Escoto, C.A., & Parekh, B. (2011). Stress reduction in adults. Encyclopedia of Primary Prevention and Health Promotion Ed. Springer (Forthcoming 2012)
- Fernandez, S., Hickman, N., Klonoff, E., Landrine, H., Kashima, K., Parekh, B.R, Brouillard, C., Zolezzi, M., Jensen, J., & Weslowski, Z. (2005). Cigarette Advertising in Magazines for Latinas, White Women, and Men, 1998-2002: A Preliminary Investigation. Journal of Community Health: The Publication for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, 30, pp. 141-151.
- Hickman, N., Klonoff, E., Landrine, H., Kashima, K., Parekh, B.R., Fernandez, S., Thomas, K., Brouillard, C., Zolezzi, M., Jensen, J., & Weslowski, Z., (2004). Preliminary Investigation of the Advertising and Availability of PREPs, the New “Safe” Tobacco Products, Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 27, 413-424.
- Klonoff, E, Landrine, H., Alcaraz, R. Campbell, R., Lang, D., McSwan, K., Parekh, B.R. & Norton-Perry, G. (1998). An instrument for assessing the quality of tobacco-control policies: The ACT-L Scale, Preventive Medicine: An International Journal Devoted to Practice and Theory, 27, 808-814.
- National Council of School and Programs of Professional Psychology, January 2013, Annual Conference Meeting – Nassau, Bahamas, “Development of an Instrument to Assess Applicant Relationship Skills”
- Western Psychological Association, San Francisco, Ca, April 2012, “An Examination of Addiction, Axis II Disorders, and Childhood Trauma”, WPA Poster
- Western Psychological Association, San Francisco, Ca, April 2012, “An Examination of Childhood Sexual Abuse and Couple Dynamics”, WPA Poster
- National Council of School and Programs of Professional Psychology, January 2012, Annual Conference Meeting – New Orleans, Louisiana, “Evaluation of Internship Preparation Seminar”, NCSPP Poster Session
- National Council of School and Programs of Professional Psychology, January 2011, Annual Conference Meeting – San Juan, Puerto Rico “Socializing Clinical Psychology Students to Life-Long Learning at the Pre-doctoral Level: A Pilot Program”, NCSPP Poster Session
- Society for Personality Assessment, Annual Conference Meeting- San Diego, CA, April 2013, “Expanding the Horizons of Assessment: Investigating the Use of Attachment Styles and Projective Measurse as a Means of Assessing Substance use” Paper Session
- Orange County Psychological Assoication, Orange, CA, April 2013, Continuing Education Presentation
- Orange County Psychological Association, Orange, CA, June 2012, Continuing Education Presentation
- Orange County Psychological Association, Orange, CA, April 2012, Continuing Education Presentation
- Orange County Psychological Association, Orange, Ca February 2011 Continuing Education Presentation Understanding the Psychological Effects of Fibromyalgia