Moderate to severe psychopathology
- Ph.D., Ohio University, Athens, Ohio. Clinical Psychology, 1990. (American Psychological Association (APA) accredited)
- M.A., Illinois State University, Normal, Illinois. Clinical Psychology, 1986.
- B.A., Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio. 1982
Gary Bruss, PhD is an Associate Professor, Program Dean and Clinical Psychology faculty member at The American School of Professional Psychology at Argosy University | Southern California (ASPP, Southern California). Dr. Bruss completed a pre-doctoral internship and post-doctoral fellowship at The Institute of Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia, PA. He spent an additional nine years as a faculty member in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health at Pennsylvania hospital where he functioned as a teacher, clinician, and researcher. He also held the position of Associate Director of the Acute Inpatient Psychiatry Unit for several years. His clinical research background includes working as an Associate in the Dave Garroway Laboratory for the Study of Depression. He has published and presented his findings at several national scientific conferences. He also held an appointment as a Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychology in Psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. His professional experience also includes his work as a psychotherapist, psychodiagnostician, and consultant. His interests include psychopathology, psychodynamic psychotherapy, psychological testing, and infertility medicine. Dr. Bruss joined Argosy University in 2001, and has served the program in an administrative and teaching capacity since that time.
- Moderate to severe psychopathology
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Psychological aspects of infertility medicine
- American Psychological Association
- Bruss, G.S., & Nunno, K.M. (2002). Axis I and Personality Profiles of Gestational Surrogates. Fertility and Sterility, 77 (1003), S18.
- Goldstein, R.D., Gruenberg, A.M., Bruss, G.S. (1996). Co-occurrence of major depressive disorder and personality disorder: treatment implications. Directions in Psychiatry, 16 (18), 1-8.
- Bruss, G.S., Gruenberg, A. M., Goldstein, R.D., & Barber, J.P. (1994). The Hamilton anxiety rating scale interview guide: joint interview and test-retest methods for inter-rater reliability. Psychiatry Research, 53, 191-202.
- Bruss, G.S. (2013). The Psychological Evaluation of Oocyte Donors and Gestational Surrogates: The Art and Science of Inclusion/Exclusion Decision Making. Paper presented at the Orange County Psychological Association/Argosy University Master Lecture SeriesWorking, Orange, CA.
- Bruss, G.S. (Chair), Domingo, A. (Discussant), Kinback, K. (Presenter), Parekh, B. (Presenter), Berger, S. (Presenter). (2012). Symposium on Health Psychology: Brain Issues in Psychological Diagnosis and Treatment. Argosy University, Orange County Master Lecture Series (CE event co-sponsored by the Orange County Psychological Association and Argosy University, Orange County), Orange, CA.
- Aquino, N., & Bruss, G.S. (2012). A Case of Complex Trauma in Brief Psychotherapy: Approaches to Conceptualization and Treatment. Grand Rounds Presentation, Argosy University, Orange County.
- Bruss, G.S. (2011). Dissociative Identity Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder: Distinct Entities or Epiphenomena . Paper presented at the Orange County Psychological Association/Argosy University Master Lecture Series, Orange, CA.
- Bruss, G.S. (2011). Grief and Infertility. Paper presented at the Argosy University Working with Grief Summer Speaker Series, Orange, CA
- Tobin, J., Parekh, B., Bruss, G., & Lopez, B. (2013, January). Assessing the relational capacities of applicants to doctoral study in clinical psychology: A group interview format and observational coding scheme. Poster presented at the annual winter meeting of the National Council of Schools and Programs of Professional Psychology, Nassau, Bahamas.
- Parekh, B., Bruss, G.S., Lopez, T., and Valenti, M. (2012). Examining the Effectiveness of Intensive Internship Preparation. Poster presented at the annual winter meeting of the National Schools of Professional Psychology (NCSPP), New Orleans, LA.
- Colvin, J., Bruss, G.S., & Parekh, B. (2011). The Implications of Introducing Dimensional Models in the DSM. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Western Psychological Association (WPA), Los Angeles, CA.
- Bruss, G.S. (Chair), Hedges, L. (Discussant), Lubin, M, I. (Presenter), Tobin, J. (Presenter), Davidtz, J. (Presenter). (2011). Symposium on Countertransference. Argosy University, Orange County Master Lecture Series (CE event co-sponsored by the Orange County Psychological Association and Argosy University, Orange County), Orange, CA.
- Tobin, J., Bruss, G.S., Parekh, B., & Lopez, T. (2011). Socializing Clinical Psychology Students to Life-Long Learning at the Predoctoral Level: A Pilot Program. Poster presented at the annual winter meeting of the National Schools of Professional Psychology (NCSPP), San Juan, Puerto Rico.