Areas of Focus:
- Ph.D., Experimental Psychology, Arizona State University, 2009
Dr. Valdez received a Ph.D. in Experimental Psychology from Arizona State University. He completed postdoctoral training at the Barrow Neurological Institute, where he studied single-neuron recordings in the human brain, and he later worked as a research biostatistician at Maricopa Integrated Health System. More recently, he was a research scientist at Stanford Health Care and a Clinical Instructor in the Division of Primary Care and Population Health at Stanford University, where he consulted with clinicians on a range of research-related activities and was a scientific advisor to Shared Leadership's Research & Innovation Council.
Now, as an Assistant Professor at the Arizona School of Professional Psychology, Dr. Valdez provides instruction on Statistics and Research Methods and is a member of the Institutional Review Board committee. His personal interests include motorsport, live music, and travel.
- Experimental Psychology
- Study Design
- Pickham, D. Pihulic, M., Valdez, A., Mayer, B., Duhon, P., & Larson, B. (in press) Pressure injury prevention practices in the ICU: real-world data captured by wearable patient sensors.
- Pickham, D., Berte, N., Pihulic, M., Valdez, A., Mayer, B., & Desai, M. (2017). Effect of a wearable patient sensor on care delivery for preventing pressure injuries in acutely ill adults: a pragmatic randomized clinical trial (LS-HAPI study). International Journal of Nursing Studies, 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2017.12.012
- Sinha, M., Quan, D., McDonald, F., & Valdez, A. (2016). Cost-minimization analysis of different strategies of management of clinically significant scorpion envenomation among pediatric patients. Pediatric Emergency Care, 32, 856-862.
- Valdez, A.B., Papesh, M., Treiman, D.M., Smith, K.A., Goldinger, S., & Steinmetz, P.N. (2015). Distributed representation of visual objects by single neurons in the human brain. The Journal of Neuroscience, 35, 5180-5186.
- Dahl, A., Sinha, M., Rosenberg, D., Tran, M., & Valdez, A. (2015). Assessing physician-parent communication during emergency medical procedures in children. An observational study in a low literacy Latino patient population. Pediatric Emergency Care, 31, 339-342.
- Edmonds, A., Moore, E., Valdez, A., & Tomlinson C. (2015). Social work and the HIV care continuum: assisting HIV patients diagnosed in an emergency department. Social Work, doi: 10.1093/sw/swv011
- Geren, K., Lovecchio, F., Stapczynski, S., Knight, J., Fromm, R., Moore, E., Tomlinson, C., Valdez, A., & Hobohm, D. (2014). Identification of acute HIV infection using fourth generation testing in an opt-out emergency department screening program. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 64, 537-546.
- Arthur, J.C., Colder, B.W, Oertel, C.K., Valdez, A.B., & Greenwald, H.S. (2014). Neurotechnology for intelligence analysts: phase 3 operational testing. GEOINT Science
- Valdez, A.B., Hickman, E.N., Treiman, D.M., Smith, K.A., & Steinmetz, P.N. (2013). A statistical method for predicting seizure onset zones from human single-neuron recordings. Journal of Neural Engineering, 10, 1-12.
- Amazeen, E.L., Tseng, P., Valdez, A.B., & Vera, D. (2011). Perceived heaviness is influenced by the style of lifting. Ecological Psychology, 23, 1-18
- Valdez, A.B. (2017). A research primer: designing, conducting, and reporting on clinical improvement projects. Quantitative methods and data analysis. Clinical Education Course. Stanford Health Care, Stanford, CA.
- Valdez, A.B. (2016). Critical appraisal of scientific literature. Invited Presentation. NorthBay Healthcare EBP & Nursing Research Symposium, Fairfield, CA.
- Valdez, A.B. (2014). Doing more with less: The basics of a research abstract. Invited Presentation. Shared Leadership Conference, Stanford Health Care, Stanford, CA.
- Valdez, A.B. (2013). A sampling of statistical methods in biomedical research. Invited Special Seminar. University of Arizona College of Medicine, Department of Basic Medical Sciences, Phoenix, AZ
- Goldinger, S., Valdez, A.B., Papesh, M., & Steinmetz, P.N. (2012). Effects of emotional expressions on single-neuron firing rates in humans. Nanosymposium. Society for Neuroscience 2012 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA
- Papesh, M., Valdez, A.B., Treiman, D.M., Smith, K.A., Goldinger, S., & Steinmetz, P.N. (2012). Race-selective neurons in the human brain. Nanosymposium. Society for Neuroscience 2012 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA
- Valdez, A.B. (2011). Distributed visual representation of objects by single neurons in the human brain. Nanosymposium. Society for Neuroscience 2011 Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C.
- Valdez, A.B. (2011). Predicting seizure onset zones from human single-neuron recordings. Invited presentation, Epilepsy Research Conference, Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ