Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Sleep WA Foote Hospital, Jackson, MI
- PhD Clinical Psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- MA Clinical Psychology, Minnesota State University, Mankato, MN
Dr. Townsend is the Director of Clinical Training and Associate professor at the Arizona School of Professional Psychology at Argosy University. He received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Minnesota and went on to complete his PhD in Clinical Health Psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA. He received training in Health Psychology and Sleep Medicine while on internship at Rush Presbyterian Medical Center in Chicago. He completed formal post-doctoral training in sleep medicine in Michigan. Dr. Townsend is board certified in Sleep Medicine (2002) and has a Certificate in Behavioral Sleep Medicine (2005), both of which are the highest credentials that one can obtain in the field of sleep medicine. He is one of only about 250 psychologists in the US who is boarded in sleep medicine. Dr. Townsend is a Minnesota native and after training returned to Minnesota where he worked for over 11 years at Pulmonary and Critical Care Associates (now called United Heart & Lung) where he became the director of sleep medicine services. He then moved to the Fairview University of Minnesota Sleep Health Center where he was the director of the insomnia program for 3 years prior to relocating to Phoenix, AZ. He has published in the area of insomnia and other sleep topics. He has served on numerous national committees for both the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and the Society of Behavioral Sleep Medicine (SBSM). Dr. Townsend also maintains a private practice in sleep medicine specializing in insomnia treatment.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Sleep Medicine and Behavioral Sleep Medicine
- Townsend, D., Kazaglis, L., Savik, K., Smerud, A., & Iber, C. (2017). A brief tool to differentiate factors contributing to insomnia complaints. Health Psychology, 36(3), 291-297.
- Townsend, D., Sharma, A., Brauer, E., Scattarelli, D., McEiver, J., Eiken, T., & Frieberg, M. (2006). Assessing Efficacy, Outcomes and Cost Savings for Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea Using Two Diagnostic and Treatment Strategies. Sleep Diagnosis and Therapy, 1, 40-47.
- Meoli, A., Rosen, C., Kristo, D., Kohrman, M., Gooneratne, N., Aguillard, R., Fayle, R., Troell, R., Wyatt, J., Townsend, D., Gera, C., & Claman, D. (2005). Oral Non-Prescription Treatment for Insomnia: An Evaluation of Products with Limited Evidence. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 1(2), 73-87.
- Townsend, DT. Behavioral Sleep Medicine and CBT for Insomnia. Association of Clinical Sleep Disorders Disciplines, October 2017.
- Townsend, DT. Case Studies in Insomnia. Arizona Sleep Society, October 2017.
- Townsend, DT. A Brief Tool to Differentiate Sleep Disorders that Present as Insomnia. National Sleep Conference, June 2016.