Areas of Focus:
- M.S. Industrial Organizational Psychology, Kansas State University, 2006
- Psy.D., Clinical Psychology, Wright State University, 1986
- Ph.D., Counseling and Student Personnel Services, University of Georgia, 1979
Dr. Frederick Wechsler is a Professor in the Clinical Psychology program at the Arizona School of Professional Psychology at Argosy University (ASPP). He received his PhD in Counseling at the University of Georgia and his PsyD in Clinical Psychology at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio. He is a Diplomate in Clinical Psychology awarded by the American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) and a fellow of the American Academy of Clinical Psychology.
Dr. Wechsler's area of expertise involves Litigation Consulting, in which he provides jury selection and jury research services in civil litigation cases involving product liability, personal injury, wrongful death, commercial litigation, construction defects, and nursing home and skilled nursing facility neglect.
His previous roles at Argosy University (ASPP) include Program Dean and Director of Clinical Training. Wechsler worked as a clinical psychologist at numerous facilities and in private practice, where he conducted therapy focused on mental health, behavioral medicine, neuropsychology, family and couples therapy, anger management, work-related stress/disability, and violence prevention. He has extensive training in Family Therapy from the Family Therapy Program, formerly housed in the Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, and from the Gestalt Institute of Cleveland. Additionally Dr. Wechsler also has extensive training in applied psychophysiology and biofeedback.
Dr. Wechsler is a member of the Arizona State Board of Psychologist Examiners serving his second term of 5 years. He also served on the Board of Directors at the Arizona Psychology Training Consortium.
- Litigation Consulting
- Neuropsychology and Behavioral Medicine
- Rehabilitation, Pain Management
- Gestalt and Family Psychotherapy
- Member, American Psychological Association
- Fellow, Academy of Clinical Psychology
- Member and Chairperson, Arizona State Board of Psychologist Examiners
- Binder, J. & Wechsler, F. Intervention Competencies. In Kenkel, M.B. & Peterson, R. (2009). Competency based education for professional psychology. Washington,D.C.: American Psychological Association.
- Tomak, C., Wechsler, F., Ghahramanlou-Holloway, M., Virden, T.,& Nademin, E. An Empirical Study of the Personality Characteristics of Internet Sex Offenders. The Journal of Sexual Aggression. 2009, 15(2), 139-148.
- Belanger, S. B., Wechsler, F., Nademin, M. E., Virden, T. B. Predicting outcome of gastric bypass surgery utilizing personality scale elevations, psychosocial factors, and diagnostic group membership. Obesity Surgery. Doi: 10.1007/s11695-009-9866.
- Hutchings, P., Lewis, D, & Wechsler, F. (2008). Clinical training. In M. Herson & A. M. Gross. The handbook of clinical psychology, (pp.38-65) Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons.
- Lewis, D., Wechsler, F., Sideman, L., & Clemente, L. (Eds.) (2007). The Arizona sourcebook: Ethics and law for Arizona psychologists. Woodstock Academic Press & interactive web project (http: www.azpsychologist.com).
- Wechsler, F. & Perrin, G. (2007). The Arizona Board of Psychologist Examiners: Jurisdiction, Operation and the Complaint Process. In Lewis, D. Wechsler, F. Sideman, L. & Clemente, L. (Eds.) The Arizona sourcebook: Ethics and law for Arizona psychologists. Woodstock Academic Press & interactive web project (http: www.azpsychologist.com).
- Wechsler, F. & Lewis, D. (2007). Professional Writing in the Disciplines: College of Psychology and Behavioral Sciences: In R. Krishbnadas (Ed.) A Faculty Guide to Teaching and Writing. Boston, Mass: Houghton Mifflin.
- Hutchings, P., Mangione, L., Dobbins, J.E. & Wechsler, F.S. A critical analysis of with psychology pre-doctoral internship training: Contributing factors and collaborative solutions. Training and Education in Professional Psychology. 2007, Vol 1(4), 276-286.
- Benedict, R.H., & Wechsler, F. Evaluation of memory retraining inpatients with traumatic brain injury: Two single case experimental designs. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation. 1992, 7(4), 83-92.
- McNamara, K., Wechsler, F., & Larson, P. A neuropsychological investigation of cerebral whipples disease: A case study. International Journal of Clinical Neuropsychology. 1985, 7(3), 131-137.
- Wechsler, F. Electronically? Ethical/legal issues in tele/virtual health service provision. Invited paper presented at the Arizona Psychological Association 2011 Annual Convention, Fountain Hills, AZ. October 2011.
- Olvey, C., Galvin, J., Akins, F., Bohanske, B., Brundage, J., Lovejoy, G., & Wechsler, F. AZ Psych Board: Everything you always wanted to know but were afraid to ask. Workshop presented at the Arizona Psychological Association 2011 Annual Convention, Fountain Hills, AZ. October 2011.
- Galvin, J., Olvey, C., Akins, F., Bohanske, B., Brundage, J., Lovejoy, G., & Wechsler, F. Responding to licensure complaints: what you need to know to act effectively ? the sequel. Workshop presented at the Arizona Psychological Association 2011 Annual Convention, Fountain Hills, AZ. October 2011.
- Wechsler, F. Ethical guidelines and the complaint process for behavioral analysts. Workshop Presented for the Association for Behavior Analysis, Scottsdale Arizona. May 2011.
- Lally, S., Ribner, N.G., and Wechsler, F. Areas of Practice (3): Forensics. Panel Presentation at NCSPP 2025: Leap into the Future, National Council of Schools of Professional Psychology Mid-Winter Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico. January, 2011.
- Wechsler, F. Ethics: Behavioral analysis licensure laws, decision making, and responding to State Board complaints. Workshop presented at Southwest Autism Research Center, Phoenix, AZ, November, 2010.
- George-Curran, R., Wechsler, F., Amin, K., Virden, T. ;amp& Hutchinson, G. Insominia: Prevalence and preference for treatment as predicted by sleep impairment, self efficacy task and regulation for insomnia, and dysfunctional beliefs and attitudes about sleep. Poster presentation at Sleep 2010, 24th Annual Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies, LLC. San Antonio, TX. June 2010.
- Wechsler, F. Voire Dire. Lessons of 1000 trials: Everything you wanted to know about jury selection and persuasion from the experts. Paper presented at the Missouri Bar Legal Education Conference, American College of Trial Lawyers. Kansas City, KS. May 2010.
- Wechsler, F. & Sideman, L. Ethics: The map is not the territory. Workshop for the Northern Veterans Administration Health Care System, Prescott, AZ. January 2010.
- Hogg, A. & Wechsler, F. Licensure Law. Arizona Intern and Post Doc Training Conference: Training in Worrisome Times. Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ. November 2009.