Clinical Health Psychology.
- Ph.D., Virginia Commonwealth University.
- MS, Virginia Commonwealth University.
- MA University of Illinois.
Rene McGovern, Ph.D., is a Professor and Clinical Psychology faculty member at the Arizona School of Professional Psychology at Argosy University (ASPP). Dr. McGovern has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology from Adelphi University, a Master of Arts degree in cognitive psychology from the University of Illinois, and a Master of Science and Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology from Virginia Commonwealth University. She completed her doctoral internship at the McGuire Veterans Administration Medical Center (VAMC) in Richmond, Virginia and did her postdoctoral training in geriatrics and health psychology at MetroHealth Medical Center and University Hospitals Alzheimer's Center in Cleveland, Ohio. She completed the Geriatric Scholar Program at Saint Louis University Division of Geriatric Medicine and is board certified in Clinical Health Psychology by the American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP). Dr. McGovern has spent the last 20 years of her career in academic medicine and continues to be an adjunct faculty member in the department of psychiatry at Case Western Reserve University. Dr. McGovern's clinical work has focused on adult and geriatric health psychology, where she has served in both urban and rural university hospitals, delivering inpatient, outpatient and nursing home care. As a health psychologist she has worked with individuals, couples and families, and served as a member of interdisciplinary healthcare teams to help improve overall health outcomes. Her publications include books, book chapters and journal articles in the field of health psychology and geriatrics. Dr. McGovern serves as a grant reviewer for the National Institute of Health (NIH) and as a consultant for Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration for the National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices (NREPP). She received nearly 2 million dollars in federal funding as project director for ElderLynk, a program to integrate mental health in primary care for the elderly in rural Missouri. She is on the medical staff at Scottsdale Healthcare.
- Clinical Health Psychology.
- American Psychological Association (APA) Division 38-Health Psychology.
- American Psychological Association (APA) Division 6-Behavioral Neuroscience & Comparative Psychology.
- American Psychological Association (APA) Division 7- Developmental Psychology.
- American Psychological Association (APA) Division 5- Evaluation, Measurement & Statistics.
- Gerontological Association of America (GSA).
- McGovern, R.J., Laird, S.D., Bowman, R.C. & McWilliams, T. (2009) Rural Medical Education, book chapter in Rural Education in the 21st Century, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., N.Y.
- McGovern, J.J. & McGovern, R.J. (2006). The Evolution of the Mind-Body-Spirit Unit, book chapter in Torsten Liem, (Editor) Morphodynamics in Osteopathy, Hamburg: Hippokrates, Thieme, Enke, p.141-147.
- Korr, I.M. & McGovern, R.J. (2008). Living Long and Loving It, Achieving a Healthy and Active Lifestyle. Prometheus Books, New York.
- McGovern, J.J. & McGovern, R.J. (2003). Your Healer Within, A Unified Field Theory of Healthcare, Fenestra Books, Tucson, AZ., [also published in German (2003) and Spanish (2006) by Jolandos Press].
- McGovern, R.J., Lee, M. M.., Johnson, J.C. & Morton, B. (2008). ElderLynk: A Community outreach model for the integrated treatment of mental health problems in the rural elderly. Aging International, 32:43-53.
- Blevins, D., Morton, B. & McGovern, R.J. (2008). Evaluating a Community-Based Participatory Research Project for Elder Mental Healthcare in Rural America. Clinical Interventions in Aging, 3(3), 535-545.
- McCrae, C. S., McGovern, R., Lukefahr, R., & Stripling*, A. (2007). Research evaluating brief behavioral sleep treatments for rural elderly (RESTORE): A preliminary examination of effectiveness. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 15(11), 979-982.
- Vittengl, J. R., White, C. N., McGovern, R. J., & Morton, B. J. (2006). Comparative validity of seven scoring systems for the Instrumental Activities of Daily Living Scale in rural elders. Aging and Mental Health, January; 10(1):40-47.
- Smith, L. D., Peck, P. L., & McGovern, R. J. (2004). Factors contributing to the utilization of mental health services in a rural setting. Psychological Reports, 95, 435-442.
- Smith, L.D., Peck, P.L., & McGovern, R.J. (2003). A comparison of medical students, medical school faculty, primary care physicians, and the general population on attitudes toward psychological help-seeking. Psychological Reports, 91, 1268-1272.
- Smith, L.D., Peck, P.L., & McGovern, R.J. (2002). Knowledge and access barriers to counseling services in a rural population. Journal of Mental Health and Aging, Volume 8, No.3, 183-195.
- McGovern, R.J., Heyman, E. N. & Resnick, M.I. (2002) An examination of coping style and quality of life of prostate cancer patients who attend a prostate cancer support group. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology Volume 20, No.3.
- McGovern, R.J. (2010). Research in osteopathy in the USA; taking stock. Invited keynote address at the annual conference of the German Association of Osteopaths (VOD), October 1-3, Hamburg, Germany.
- McGovern, R.J. (2009). Eating Disorders, Dying to be thin. Invited Grand Rounds presentation for Scottsdale Healthcare continuing education, June 26. (1 hour).
- McGovern, R.J. & Phelps, C. (2008). Unlocking Physician-Patient Relationships. Invited CME presented at the ATSU Primary Care Update, applying concepts of motivational interviewing to medical care, June 21-28. (4 hours).
- McCartney, L., Caraway, A., Ellebracht, P., Bright, L., McGovern, R.J. (2007). When the bridge is washed out: A community perspective. Invited presentation at the annual meeting of the National Association of Rural Mental Health (NARMH), Kansas City, MO. August 9-11.
- McGovern, R.J. (2005). Evidence-based medicine: A roadmap for clinical decision-making. Invited keynote address at the annual conference of the German Association of Osteopaths (VOD), October 1-3, Schlangenbad, Germany.
- McGovern, R.J. (2010). A Training Model for Rural Psychology: Transcending Boundaries. APA, San Diego, CA, Aug.14.
- McGovern, R.J. & Harrison, S. (2010). Can ethics be taught? Improving the outcomes of clinical training in professional ethics. Continuing Education Program for psychologists and professional counselors, Argosy University, Phoenix, Feb. 23. (3 hours).
- Laird, S.D., McGovern, R.J., Coon, S. & Willett, S. (2008). The Life of the Programme Assessing Curricular Progress using Quality Circles. 13th International Ottawa Conference on Clinical Competence, Melbourne, Australia, March 5-8.
- McCrae, C. S., McGovern, R., Lukefahr, R., & Stripling*, A. (August, 2007). Research evaluating brief behavioral sleep treatments for rural elderly (RESTORE). Paper presented at the meeting of the American Psychological Association, San Francisco, CA, August.
- McGovern, R.J., Creedon, M.C., & Bordenave, E. (2007). Building Consensus: The ATSU University-Wide Geriatrics Initiative. Paper presentation at the annual meeting of the Association of Geriatrics in Highter Education, Portland, Oregon, March 1-4.