Areas of Focus:
Couples/Family Assessment & Treatment
- Ph.D., Counseling Psychology, University of North Texas, 1994
- M.A., Clinical Psychology, University of North Texas, 1988
- B.S., Psychology, Florida Institute of Technology, 1982
Dr. Costas earned her doctoral degree in Counseling Psychology at the University of North Texas (UNT) in Denton, Texas. She has a specialty in couples and family therapy and a minor in school psychology. She earned her master’s degree in clinical psychology also at UNT. Previously, she was an Associate Professor at FSPP for six years and taught FSPP graduate courses in Interventions, Pro-group, Diversity, Couples and Family, Lifespan Development, Psychopathology, and Psychotherapy Practicum Seminar. She has been a licensed psychologist in the state of Florida since 1996. She has extensive experience in collegiate mental health and for the past two years, served as the director of clinical services at a large university counseling center. She has clinical experience working with diverse populations especially Spanish-speaking, Latino populations. She also has experience in group and couples counseling, brief therapy, risk assessment, and career testing and counseling. In addition, she has extensive experience supervising interns in an APA accredited internship site and facilitating interns’ didactic seminars on assessment and supervision of supervision. In addition she has training and clinical experience working with children and adolescents as well as families. Her theoretical orientation is integrative with emphasis on CBT, systems theory, client –centered, and psycho-dynamic approaches. She is actively involved in the Tampa bay community as a member of the Tampa Mayor’s Hispanic Advisory Council and other local Hispanic organizations. She has developed mentoring programs for undergraduate students, FSPP students, and young Latina professionals. She is an active member of APA and various APA divisions. She presents regularly on issues related to diversity and Latino psychology.
- Couples/Family Assessment & Treatment
- Collegiate mental health
- Clinical interventions and administration
- Family and couples therapy
- Training and supervision
- American Psychological Association, Division 45 (Society for the Psychological Study of Culture, Ethnicity and Race), APA Division 35 (Society for the Psychology of Women, Section 3 Concerns of Hispanic Women/Latinas), APA Division 17 (Society of Counseling Psychology)
- Tampa Mayor’s Hispanic Advisory Council
- Osborn, D., & Costas, L. (2013). Role-playing in counselor student development, Journal of Creativity in Mental Health, 8:1, 92-103.
- Costas, L. (2007). An example of culturally appropriate use of microskills: Reflection. In Zalaquett, C., Ivey, A. E., Gluckstern-Packard, & Ivey, M. B. (Eds.), Las habilidades atencionales básicas: Pilares fundamentales de la comunicación efectiva. Hanover, MA: Microtraining Associates.
- Costas, L. (2005). Use of reflective collages to enhance self-knowledge. In M. Pope & C. Minor’s (Eds.), Experiential Activities in Career Counseling, Second Edition, Tulsa, OK: National Career Development Association.
- Acevedo, D., Arredondo, P., Costas, L., Gallardo-Cooper, M., & Zalaquett, C. (2012). The Concepts of Microaggressions & Macroaggressions From a Latina/o Perspective (Parts 1 & 2). Privately Published.
- Costas, L., & Torres, E. (2009) Featured in Las habilidades atencionales básicas: Pilares fundamentales de la comunicación efectiva, Part 1 (Basic microskills training video in Spanish) Written by Allen E. Ivey, Mary Bradford Ivey, Norma B. Gluckstern-Packard & Carlos Zalaquett. Alexandria, VA: Alexander Street Press and Microtraining Associates.
- Costas, L., Ritchey, B., & Pita, M. (2013). Fostering development of protective factors against discrimination in Latino clients: A call to action. Presentation at the First Annual Diversity Summit-Difficult Dialogues: Expanding the Conversation. FSPP, Tampa, FL.
- Costas, L., & McKay, K. (2012). The Diversity Walk. Presented at the USF Diversity Summit, USF, Tampa, FL.
- Peterson, J., & Costas. L. (2012). Family of origin influences on couples’ functioning. Presentation at the Second Annual Conference of Family and Couples: Contemporary Issues, FSPP, Tampa, FL.
- Costas, L., Pita, M. , Zalaquett, C., Castro-Sanchez, J., & Odio, F. (2010). Counseling Issues with Hispanic Clients. Continuing education panel presentation. FSPP, Tampa, FL. (Presentation submitted and accepted for training video production)
- Costas, L. (2010). Emotional Health and Wellness. Presentation at the Latinos Unidos Leadership Conference, Tampa, FL.