Clinical Health Psychology.
- Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, Northern Illinois University, 1980.
- M.A., Clinical Psychology, Northern Illinois University, 1977.
- B.A., Psychology, Elementary Education, Macalester College, 1974.
Kate Hathaway, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor and Clinical Psychology faculty member at the Minnesota School of Professional Psychology at Argosy University (MSPP). Dr. Hathaway is a Clinical health psychologist (practitioner/teacher/researcher) with well-rounded and extensive training in individual psychological assessment and intervention (both inpatient and outpatient), didactic and clinical teaching. She has special expertise in the area of medical/ dental psychology and in improving treatment outcome, as well as considerable practical, teaching and supervisory experience in the area of treatment planning and interdisciplinary teamwork. Her research and teaching interests include human psychophysiology, health habit training, health education, compliance and treatment outcome measures, psychopathology and cognitive/behavioral approaches to health. Dr. Hathaway has 25 years of didactic and clinical teaching experience at the University of Minnesota in graduate professional programs (dentistry, psychology, physician's assistants, advanced standing residents) with graduate students in specialty dental programs, graduate fellows in pain, advanced psychology students (doctoral level and pre doctoral), nursing and physical therapy students, undergraduate dental students and community practitioners. She also has 30 years of clinical practice in general psychotherapy and health psychology interventions.
- Clinical Health Psychology.
- Clinical Psychology, Psychotherapy.
- Society of Behavioral Medicine.
- American Psychological Association.
- Hathaway, K.M and Erasmus, Y. Integrative Therapies for Tobacco Cessation, Chapter in Chlan, L and Hertz, M. Integrative Therapies in Lung Health and Sleep, Springer Publications, 2012.
- Hathaway, KM and Parsons, GM. Behavioral Management in Patients with Temporomandibular Disorders. Chapter in Dionne, R (Ed) Management of Pain and Anxiety in the Dental Office. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 2002.
- Hathaway, K.M. Evaluation and Management of Maladaptive Behaviors and Psychological Issues in Temporomandibular Disorder Patients. Chapter in Attanasio, R. (Ed), Orofacial Pain and Related Disorders, Dental Clinics of North America, 1997, 41(2), 341-354.
- Schiffman, EL, Look, JO, Fricton, JR, Hodges, JS, Swift, JQ, Decker, KL, Hathaway, KM Wilkes C, Templeton, B. A randomized clinical trial evaluating four treatment strategies for patients with temporomandibular joint disc displacement without reduction with limited mouth opening. J Orofacial Pain, 2006.
- Schulte, J.K., Anderson, G.C., Hathaway, K.M. and Will T.E. Psychometric profiles and related pain characteristics of temporomandibular disorder patients. J. Orofacial Pain, 1993, 7, 247-253.
- Hathaway, K.M. Bruxism: Definition, Measurement, and Treatment. Chapter in Fricton, J.R. and Dubner, R. (Eds), Advances in Pain Research and Therapy, Volume 21, Raven Press, New York: 1995.
- Hathaway, K.M. Patient Compliance with Treatment: Understanding Choices, Predicting and Influencing Outcome. A Self-Instructional Guide. A written course offered through Continuing Education, University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, spring 2002.
- Hathaway, KM Ethical dilemmas and professional boundaries. Presentation to the Minnesota nonprofit dental community, October, 2011.
- Hathaway, K.M. Anxiety and pain. Annual lecture given to the students in the Physician's Assistant Program, Augsburg College.
- Hathaway, K.M. Behavioral components involved in advanced physical therapy care. Annual lectures given as part of the behavioral health component of the Doctor of Physical Therapy program, St. Catherine University.
- Hathaway, K.M., Lenton, P.A. Hodges, J.S. Gender Differences for Co-Morbid Conditions in TMD Patients with Headaches. Poster presented at the International Association for Dental Research Annual Meeting, 2006.
- Hathaway, K.M. Taking Charge of Your Health. Presentation at the American Massage Therapy Annual Meeting, May 2010.
- Hathaway, K.M., Wagner (Reinhart), J., Schiffman, E.L. and Lindgren, B. Facial pain related to Multidimensional Pain Inventory group. A poster presented at the Society for Behavioral Medicine Meeting in New Orleans, March, 1998.
- Hathaway, K.M. and Anderson, G.C. Diagnostic Reliability for Temporomandibular Disorders, Poster presentation at the 1995 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orofacial Pain.
- Reid, K.I., Schulte, J.S. and Hathaway, K.M. Nocturnal Bruxism and the Effect of Diurnal Behavior Modification, poster presented at the American Association of Craniomandibular Disorders, April, 1990.