Master of Arts (MA) in Counseling Psychology
Discover Your Future at Argosy University with a Counseling Psychology Degree
Diverse Students in this Program
Students are ages 40+ in this Program
Students Enrolled Full Time** in this Program
*Argosy University program census, 09/16/2016
**Full time is one course per term
The Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology program prepares you to help individuals, groups and families through consultation and counseling.
Why a Master of Arts Degree in Counseling Psychology?
Counseling psychology helps promote mental health by addressing such issues as depression, anxiety, addiction, relationship issues and behavioral problems.
In addition to giving you the knowledge and skills to help others, this program can also help you gain insight into yourself. You’ll have the opportunity to learn to work with a diverse range of clients in a variety of treatment settings, such as mental health clinics, psychiatric hospitals, counseling centers and private practices.
Why a Counseling Psychology Degree at Argosy University?
The Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology program prepares you to enter the field as a master’s level counseling practitioner or to continue into a counseling psychology doctoral program. The program can give you the knowledge and skills necessary to help promote positive change for individuals, couples and families. You’ll have the opportunity to learn to apply the psychological theory, research and ethical therapeutic skills you’ve acquired in a variety of settings. At the California campuses, the program is designed to prepare students for licensure as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) or a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC).
*Argosy University does not guarantee third-party certification/licensure. Outside agencies control the requirements for taking and passing certification/licensing exams and are subject to change without notice to Argosy University.
- Accredited by the Senior College and University Commission of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Learn More About This Program
What to Expect
When You're Applying
- Experience an admissions team eager to answer your questions and assist you through the application process
- Learn from a financial aid team about options for making your academic goals more affordable
- Gain from an efficient process that enables you to start your program within two months of applying
When You're Enrolled
- Attend a 60-credit hour program that accommodates working professionals and is aligned with counselor licensure in most states
- Be taught and mentored by professors who are practitioner scholars with clinical field experience*
- Utilize developmental curriculum and support team that meets you where you are and helps you to gain the knowledge and skills needed for success
*Credentials and experience levels vary by faculty and instructors.
Argosy University, San Diego did an amazing job stressing the importance of being culturally sensitive to those we work with within our field. My instructors were always available for their students and extremely supportive.
Carla Ramirez, MA Counseling Psychology Alumna, Class of ‘11
Multisystemic Family Therapist, San Diego Unified School District