Our academic programs focus on the interpersonal skills vital to professional achievement.
Dallas Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree in Medical Technology
Select a different location
Program InformationThe Bachelor of Science (BS) in Medical Technology degree program offered at Argosy University, Dallas is not accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (8410 West Bryn Mawr, Suite 670, Chicago, IL 60631, 1.773.714.8880). Graduates of this program will need additional full time acceptable laboratory experience in order to be eligible to sit for national certification examinations (ASCP, NCA). http://www.ascp.org/certification.
Argosy University, Dallas offers a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Medical Technology degree program that is designed for individuals who have completed an associate’s degree in Medical Laboratory Technology. Medical technologists perform the more complex laboratory testing in the clinical lab which requires a higher level of judgment and expertise than that of a medical laboratory technician. Medical technologists write and implement new procedures, evaluate test results, establish and monitor programs to ensure the accuracy of laboratory testing. Additionally, the Medical Technology degree program includes coursework designed to help students acquire the knowledge, skills, and competencies they need to seek entry-level management or leadership positions.
All students admitted to the BS in Medical Technology degree program are expected to possess the following basic academic skills: the ability to use standard written and spoken English effectively; basic calculation skills (pre-algebra) and the ability to use a calculator to perform basic operations.
Students who successfully complete this program will be eligible to sit for the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Certification Exam to become a certified medical technologist. Completion of the program requirements does not guarantee passage of the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification Exam. Requirements for taking and passing certification exams are subject to change without notice to Argosy University. Information pertaining to the ASCP certification exam can be found at www.ascp.org.
The BS in Medical Technology degree program outcomes are as follows:
• Effectively present healthcare concepts, both written and oral, appropriate to the audience
• Given a lab environment, operate lab equipment to evaluate, correlate and ensure accuracy and validity of laboratory information.
• Correlate test results with specific disease states.
• Using medical information, manage data to enable effective, timely, accurate and cost-effective reporting.
• Given professional standards:
- Develop and establish procedures to collect and process biological specimens and other substances.
- Recognize and follow established laboratory safety policies.
Analysis and Decision Making:
• Utilizing knowledge of the field, perform pre-analytical, analytical and postanalytical processes within the clinical laboratory.
• Evaluate possible solutions to determine and institute proper procedures to maintain accuracy and precision within a lab environment.
• Financial Resources
- Given a lab environment, direct and manage financial resources in a way that promotes cost-effective laboratory services.
• Human Resources
- Recognize and apply effective leadership skills in collaboration with laboratory professionals to offer value added services.
- Given a medical environment, demonstrate the ability to provide orientation to new employees and update requisite knowledge and skills of other laboratory professionals.
Quality Assessment and Ethics:
• Given a lab environment, monitor the research and testing of biological specimens, body fluids, cells and other substances, to meet quality control standards.
• Given a medical environment, identify appropriate regulations to ensure policies and procedures are in compliance.
• Identify the issues and challenges related to ethics and professional conduct within the medical field.
Launch your career potential by enrolling in the BS in Medical Technology degree program. You can learn more about specific financial aid programs (available to those who qualify) on our Financial Aid & Scholarships pages, or by contacting us to request more information.