Online Student FAQs
Learn the answers to frequently asked questions regarding the online student learning experience at Argosy University.
How do I apply for an online program?
It’s as easy as completing an application at: www.argosy.edu/admissions/apply-online. If you’re unsure about which program is best for you, or if you have questions about how our 24-7 classroom works, about financial aid (available to those who qualify), or if you’d like guidance through the application process, do not hesitate to reach out to us. Our admissions representatives are happy to help you from start to finish. We have online programs starting every few weeks, but why wait? Start the process today!
Does Argosy University, Online Programs evaluate transfer credits?
Yes. College credits you have earned at other accredited institutions can be evaluated for transfer to Argosy University. Start by contacting one of our admissions representatives at 1-855-725-4299. They’ll advise you to fill out an application and a transcript request form. We will then contact your previous school and request an official transcript.
If you want to get the process moving more quickly, we can start the process with a printout of an unofficial transcript, but we will ultimately need an official transcript for the credit transfer evaluation to be finalized. Once you’ve submitted an application and we’ve seen your official, our Transfer of Credit Department will compare the classes you’ve taken with the classes we offer. For those classes that are comparable in scope, transfer credit may be granted.
You may also be able to shorten your path to graduation through a process called Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). Through PLA, undergraduate students may submit professional, experiential, and other non-collegiate learning to be assessed for college credit at Argosy University. For more information, please contact your desired location to speak with an Admissions Representative.
Transfer credit is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Argosy University offers no guarantee that credit earned at another institution will be accepted into a program of study offered by Argosy University.
Are online classes harder than on-campus classes? Category: Concerns
Not necessarily. In our online class environment, you set your own schedule. As long as you’re meeting your assignment and discussion deadlines, you have the freedom to enter the classroom and complete your work whenever you want to.
Typically, you’ll have an assignment each week, and a discussion question to participate in that relates to that week’s studies. You only have to show academic related activity in the online classroom a minimum of two separate days each week. Academic activity is defined by (a) posting a substantive response in a discussion section of the online classroom, (b) engaging in online tutorials, (c) submitting an assignment via the online classroom, or (d) taking an exam.
If you get stuck on an assignment or have questions while in the classroom, your advisor can help. They can even help you develop a routine that works best with your schedule. You can also reach out to your instructors 24-7. They are required to get back to you within 24 hours during the week and within 48 hours on the weekend. We even have a mobile app, so you can stay connected to your classroom when you’re on the go!
Will my diploma say "online" on it? Category: Concerns
No, your diploma will not say “online” on it. It will state “Argosy University given at Phoenix, Arizona."
Is Argosy University, Online Programs accredited? Category: General
Yes, Argosy University is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, California, 94501, http://www.wascsenior.org).
How does online college work? Category: General
You decide how and when you go to school. Typically, you’ll take one class at a time, which will last 5 weeks or 7.5 weeks, depending on your program and degree level. You can log into the classroom and complete your assigned work at ANYTIME, 24/7. In addition, not every class activity requires that you be on a computer — we have a mobile app and mobile site that allows you to access your classes on your cell phone when you’re out and about. There’s also an option available for students to take two classes at a time and potentially complete your degree even faster. Speak with your advisor to see if it is financially and academically feasible for you.
At Argosy University, Online Programs, we prepare you for success from the day you apply. Undergraduate students have access to an undergraduate success course that will better prepare you, your organization, and your mindset for the online class environment. Your advisor will give you a full interactive tour of your online classroom, so you’ll be an online classroom pro. Advisors are available to help you throughout the duration of your class, and you can reach out to them at any time.
Also, breaks are available for extenuating circumstances, unexpected life events, or if you just need a breather! You progress at your speed and graduate in your own time. (Certain restrictions apply and you’ll need to show fluid academic progression. See the academic catalog for the details.)
What degrees can I earn online at Argosy University? Category: General
Online degree programs include:
- Associate of Science in Business Administration or Information Technology
- Associate of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Criminal Justice, or Information Technology
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology or Liberal Arts (You may also select a concentration in all bachelor’s programs except Liberal Arts.)
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Forensic Psychology, Industrial Organizational Psychology, or Sport-Exercise Psychology
- Master of Science in Human Resource Management, Human Services, Management, or Organizational Leadership
- Doctor of Business Administration
- Doctor of Education in Counseling Psychology, Curriculum and Instruction, Higher and Postsecondary Education, Pastoral Community Counseling, or Organizational Leadership
What is the value of an online degree? Category: General
The value of an online degree depends largely upon what you intend to do with it. Are you getting an online degree for career advancement? Self improvement? To set an example? To start your own business? Like an on campus degree, an online degree is a tangible measure of accomplishment and can lead to better employment opportunities, promotions, and greater financial reward. Plus, by applying the newly acquired knowledge from your chosen degree program, you can also make a difference in the world and realize your educational goals.
Online classes vs. traditional classes: What’s the difference? Category: Online Experience
The biggest difference is that you don’t have to spend time traveling to and from a physical school at a time that may not work with your schedule. With our flexible online classes and convenient learning format, you choose when to go to school and when to do your homework. You’re able to attend class at your convenience, and still have the time to go to work, be a parent, job hunt, travel, etc. You can even access your class from your cell phone with our mobile app and mobile site. Log into class from home, the coffee shop, an airplane, on vacation — pretty much any place that has internet or Wi-Fi.
Resources are available to you 24/7! In fact, with select classes, tutors are available at no charge to provide ancillary support. Computer and software tutorials are also available 24/7 via your student portal. Particularly ambitious students can even look into taking two classes at a time, or staggering classes to potentially earn that degree even faster!
Do I attend online graduation at a specific campus? Category: Online Experience
Upon graduation, you may choose any campus that is offering your program and walk in the graduation ceremony to receive your diploma. Invite your loved ones and rock that cap and gown!
Will there be a new online student orientation? Category: Online Experience
Yes, you will have your own one-on-one, personalized orientation with your advisor. This orientation will include a briefing, a training session on any tools you may be using in class, and a tour of not only your online classroom, but also your main student hub.
Does Argosy University accept financial aid for its online degrees? Category: Payment
Yes. To see if you qualify for federal grants and loans, fill out the FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov and see what federal financial aid including Pell grants and Direct Loans that you may qualify for. We accept tuition assistance, so be sure to see if your employer offers that benefit. We also accept military tuition assistance.
Are there scholarships for online students? Category: Payment
Yes. Argosy University offers some scholarship and grant opportunities for prospective and current students, as well as alumni of our school. These resources may be restricted to certain programs, campuses, or online students, and are subject to change at any time. To see which ones you may qualify for, or for further information on scholarship requirements, please contact your student finance counselor.
How much does attending college online cost at Argosy University? Category: Payment
For details about tuition and other fees, refer to the 2016 Tuition and Fee Schedule. And don’t forget to submit your Transfer of Credit evaluation* application from any prior schools you attended, along with a Prior Learning Assessment. If you qualify, these could potentially shorten your time in school and, in turn, reduce your total tuition cost.
Remember, an investment in your education is an investment in yourself and your career. At Argosy University, our Student Financial Services team is here to help you navigate the financial opportunities and responsibilities that come with earning a degree.
Need more information? Learn more about financial aid and admissions on these pages:
- Apply for aid (available for those who qualify)
- Find scholarships
- Learn about military admissions & aid
- Explore transfer credit* and prior learning credit
*Transfer credit is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Argosy University offers no guarantee that credit earned at another institution will be accepted into a program of study offered by Argosy University.
Are there student resources if I need help with online classes? Category: Tech
Yes. Whenever you have a question, you can always reach out to your academic advisor or talk to your instructor. Your instructors are great resources that you can contact anytime and they’ll get back to you within 24 hours during the week and 48 hours on the weekend. They’re also readily available to you during set office hours. In addition, you’ll have 24/7 access to our full online library, tech support, webinars, counseling center, career services, disability services, a digital bookshelf, and a live online tutoring center. Tutors are available (at no charge) to provide ancillary support and help with select classes. Computer and software tutorials are also available 24/7 via your student portal.
What platform and software requirements are needed for online classes? Category: Tech
You will need access to or have a computer or laptop with internet access. We also have a mobile app for when you are on the go.
- 56K or faster Internet connection is required for online courses, however broadband is strongly encouraged.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (Version 10 or higher)
- Adobe Acrobat Professional (Version 10 or higher)
- Microsoft Office Professional (Version 2010 for PC and 2011 for Mac) containing Access, PowerPoint, Publisher, Word and Outlook with Business Contact Manager.
- Antivirus (Version 10.2 or higher)
- Apple QuickTime (Version 7 or higher) [MAEd in Adult Education and Training]
- SPSS Grad Pack 19.0 (Only Applies to the following programs: Doctorate of Business Administration, EdD in Higher and Postsecondary Education, EdD in Organizational Leadership)
- SSPS Grad Pack 21.0 (Only Applies to the following programs: EdD in Counseling Psychology, EdD in Pastoral Community Counseling, EdD in Teaching and Learning)
- Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 (for Information Technology students in the Web Development specialization or those who elect to take IST251 or IST255)
Minimum Technology Requirements:
- PC: As a general guideline, students should not have computer specifications less than an Intel® or AMD x86 processor running at 1.3GHz or faster and one of the following operating systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2 and MSXML 6.0 (32-bit Office only), Windows Server 2008 or later 32 or 64-bit OS., 4 GB of RAM, 10 GB recommended hard drive space, 1024x576 display and a DVD-ROM drive are also required. Video hardware acceleration is optional.
- Mac: As a general guideline, students should not have computer specifications less than an Intel processor, Mac OS X v. 10.7 or higher, 1 GB of RAM, 10 GB free hard drive space recommended, 1280x800 display and a DVD-ROM drive.
Web Browser Requirements:
- Windows Users: The two latest releases of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
- Mac Users: The two latest releases of Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
What online education tools does Argosy University use for collaboration between instructors and classmates? Category: Tech
Online education tools include the online classroom portal, email, webinars, written lectures, Skype/live video, phone, pre-filmed video, and discussion boards.