Argosy University Master
Argosy University Master

Some of the questions you may have are answered here. To reveal the answer, click any question.

What is the Accelerated Scholars initiative?

Accelerated Scholars are students who have applied and been authorized to use the Master’s Accelerated Plan (MAP) to take selected graduate level courses as part of fulfilling the electives for their undergraduate degree. As the table below indicates, graduate courses are available (✓) based on a student’s program:

Students who complete at least 12 graduate credits within a single roster (see below) will be designated “Accelerated Scholar”1 on their transcripts, and will be eligible to apply to one of the aforementioned master’s programs with advanced standing. In other words, if accepted into the master’s program, Accelerated Scholars need not repeat any of the courses for which they received a grade of “B-” or better.

1Argosy University reserves the right to change the name of this initiative; transcripts will reflect the final title.

How does the MAP initiative work? What courses would I take and how would these count toward the undergraduate degree?

The University has established a roster of courses that are aligned with the master’s degrees that are part of MAP. Accelerated Scholars complete a minimum of 12 graduate credits and may complete up to an additional 12 graduate credits (depending on the particular roster) and have these count as electives in the program or General Education Open Electives. Students must receive grades of at least “B-” in each of the graduate courses taken to continue as Accelerated Scholars.

Accelerated Scholars must maintain a Cumulative Grade Point Average of “C” (2.0) or better, inclusive of the graduate courses, to meet Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress for the bachelor’s degree.

Students who receive a grade below “B-” in graduate coursework will be counseled out of continuing as an Accelerated Scholar. For these students, courses with a grade of “C-“ or better can still apply to the electives in the program and with a grade of “D-“ or better can still apply to Open Electives.

What are the requirements for becoming an Accelerated Scholar?

Students who have a CGPA of at least “B” (3.0) and have completed between 60 and 105 credits are eligible to apply. Students who are applying to enter Argosy must meet all requirements for the MAP initiative in addition to the university’s admissions requirements; these applicants may transfer in between 60 and 90 credits (the maximum) into a bachelor’s degree. These students must meet with their adviser or admissions representative to discuss the MAP option and plan which roster of courses they propose taking. It is important to note that transfer credit is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Argosy University offers no guarantee that credit earned at another institution will be accepted into a program of study offered Argosy University.

An application form is available, and must be approved by the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and the Dean of the appropriate graduate school (College of Counseling, Psychology and Social Sciences; College of Health Sciences; Graduate School of Business and Management). The student’s academic adviser or Department Chair must also sign the form, which asks the student and staff member to verify the number of credits remaining in the undergraduate degree and how MAP coursework will be used to complete the bachelor’s program.

Can students in any undergraduate program become an Accelerated Scholar?

No. The Master’s Accelerated Plan is only available to students pursuing the following undergraduate degrees: BALA; BAPSY; BSBA; and BSCJ. As the chart above indicates, for each program there are specific MAPs from which electives may be drawn.

Can I take graduate courses to replace General Education or Core classes?

Accelerated coursework does not substitute for General Education or Core classes in the program. See the list below for the graduate course rosters that may be applied to undergraduate electives.

May I switch course rosters after being accepted as an Accelerated Scholar?

Moving from one roster to another must be approved by a graduate dean (College of Counseling, Psychology and Social Sciences; College of Health Sciences; or Graduate School of Business and Management). However, in order to receive the Accelerated Scholar designation on the final undergraduate transcript, students must complete 12 credits within a single roster with grades of “B-“ or better in each course. In addition, students are discouraged from starting coursework with one roster and moving to another, as this may limit the benefits of advanced standing in a particular master’s program.

Does graduation with an Argosy bachelor’s degree as an Accelerated Scholar guarantee my place in one of the master’s degrees?

No. Applicants for the master’s degree must meet the published standards that were in effect at the time they joined the Accelerated Scholars initiative. (In most cases, this is a GPA of “B” [3.0] or better.) In addition, for some programs that lead to licensure, applicants may need to sign a Program Disclosure form specific to the counseling field, and undergo other background verification and a qualifying interview.

You mentioned a set of course rosters above. What are these?

Students select courses from one of the following rosters to count toward undergraduate electives. If accepted into the master’s degree, courses that were passed with a grade of “B-” or better do not need to be repeated. The maximum number of credits that can count in this dual capacity is indicated next to each program name.

Are there any other restrictions I should know about?

Currently, students who reside in Arkansas and Kansas are not eligible to become an Accelerated Scholar. In addition, students should be aware of the fact that the courses from the Clinical Mental Health Counseling roster are conducted in a 7.5-week format, and should consult their advisers about taking both 5-week and 7.5-week courses at the same time. Finally, not all courses are available on each Argosy campus; Accelerated Scholars may apply to complete graduate coursework through Argosy University, Online Programs (AUO).

Want to learn more about a specific program? Request information below or go back to the MAP page.

Students wishing to transfer* to Argosy University to complete their bachelor’s degree, may also apply for the Master’s Accelerated Plan. Final acceptance is dependent upon confirmation of CGPA and an evaluation of transfer credit. Transferring applicants are encouraged to arrange for official transcripts of all prior college-level coursework to be submitted to Argosy University at the start of the application process. For more information about qualifying for MAP, contact an Argosy University Admissions Representative.

DISCLAIMERS: *Transfer credit is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Argosy University offers no guarantee that credit earned at another institution will be accepted into a program of study offered by Argosy University.

**Credentials and experience levels vary by faculty and instructors.