1996, Doctor of Education, Human Services Administration, Argosy University, Sarasota
“Through enthusiastic appeal and quiet persuasion, [the faculty at Argosy University, Sarasota] modeled the way, fostering excellence. I learned to articulate a sense of the possible.”
Sherry Lawrence is a retired curriculum specialist in arts and education. She worked for Manatee County Public Schools in Bradenton, Florida; is certified in English and Speech (6-12); and endorsed in reading, gifted education, and English for speakers of other languages (ESOL).
While pursuing her Doctor of Education, Sherry balanced full time academics with a full time job. “Knowing the difference between an obstacle and an opportunity is one’s attitude. I focused on preparation and perseverance,” she says.
Her dedication is evident in the advice she gives to others: “Believe you can do anything at least once a day.” This attitude led her to become a strong and valuable part of her community—a goal she set for herself when she became a student at Argosy University, Sarasota. “I wanted to become an inspiring role model, empowering teachers to find and nurture their own leadership.”
Sherry describes her instructors and courses as “transformative.” “[They] dared me to create a vision and take risks. Argosy University, Sarasota encouraged thinking and action.”
She adds that the school provided a professional platform to become the person she aspired to be. “Argosy University, Sarasota helped me to establish an ethical set of standards on which I could base my actions.” She attributes this to the support and vision provided by faculty. “Through enthusiastic appeal and quiet persuasion, they modeled the way, fostering excellence. I learned to articulate a sense of the possible.”
- Manatee County Outstanding Women and Woman of Excellence, Bradenton Herald
- Arts Educator of the Year, Manatee County Arts Council
- She’s Setting the Pace Award, Junior League
- Teacher of the Year for Manatee County, Wal-Mart and Sam’s Clubs
- Who’s Who of America’s Best Teachers
- Two Thousand Notable American Women
- Featured speaker: Through Women’s Eyes International Film Festival, “Hollywood Films and the 1960’s Women’s Movement”
- Chair, Argosy University (Sarasota/Tampa) College of Education Advisory Board
- Board of Directors, Sarasota International Dance Festival, Sarasota-Manatee Dance Alliance; U.S. National Committee for United Nations Women