“My degree in Organizational Leadership has given me a platform that allows me to interact with others, teach, further study and publish findings.”
Provides Leadership and Direction to Senior Level Department of Corrections Staff
Donta Harper is a Regional Administrator for Washington State Department of Corrections. In this role, he reports to the Assistant Secretary of the Community Corrections Division and provides leadership, management and direction to professional senior level staff. Harper also develops and implements operational decisions for community field operations and directs the activities of all field employees within the Division of Community Corrections. To gain the educational background needed to support this position, Harper earned a Doctor of Education in Organizational Leadership from Argosy University, Online Programs—while working full time. He completed his degree in 2015.
Prior to attending Argosy University, Harper earned a Bachelor of Science in Criminology and a Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology. In addition to working for the Washington State Department of Corrections, Harper is a lecturer at the University of Washington in Tacoma. Harper is a United States Navy veteran, having served four years and earning the rank of IT Man/E4.
He chose Argosy University’s Doctor of Education in Organizational Leadership program because he wanted to pay it forward through his work as a correctional professional, researcher and instructor. “I am working to make a difference as an executive through my experience and classroom learning,” Harper said. “My degree in Organizational Leadership has given me a platform that allows me to interact with others, teach, further study and publish findings for the current generation and the next generation to learn from and expand upon.”
Harper is proud to add that he’s a Governor-appointed member of the Public Safety Review Panel (PSRP), a seven-member multi-disciplinary panel with expertise from a variety of fields related to civil commitment, community supervision and public safety. “The members of the PSRP are appointed by the Governor for a renewable term of three years,” he stated.
Since earning his degree, Harper has published four peer-reviewed articles, two book chapters and has two peer-review articles currently in review. “Each of the publications is related to leadership, behavior competencies, organizational behaviors and management.” His publications include:
- Harper, Donta S. (2017). What’s Holding Women Back from Creating Leadership Parity? Chapter in Leadership for Improvement: Perceptions, Influences and Gender Differences, edited by Susan Morison. Hauppauge, New York: Nova Science Publishers.
- Harper, Donta S. (2018). Competency-based Learning for Organizational Managers. Chapter in Enhancing Education Through Open Degree Programs and Prior Learning Assessment, edited by Carolyn N. Stevenson (Kaplan University, USA) IGI Global Publisher.
- Harper, D. S. (2016). Assessing the professional competencies of correctional executives’ and Senior-level Leaders’, The Journal of Competency-based Education, 1(2), 90 – 97. Doi: 10.1002/cbe2.1007.
- Harper, D. S. (2015). Correctional executives’ leader self-efficacy and their perceptions of emotional intelligence. American Journal of Criminal Justice, DOI 10.1007/s12103-015-9319-1.
- Harper, D. S. (2015). Emotional intelligence: The value of the construct for executives and senior-level correctional leadership. The Journal of Law Enforcement Leadership and Ethics, (2)1.
- Harper, D. S. (in review). Personality Trait Differences at the Leadership Levels. Journal of Vocation Behavior.
- Harper, D. S. (in review). Interpersonal emotion regulation among managers and non-managers while at work - a test of differences. Organizational Dynamics Journal.
Programs, credential levels, technology, and scheduling options vary by school and are subject to change. Not all online programs are available to residents of all U.S. states. Administrative office: Argosy University, 333 City Boulevard West, Suite 1810, Orange, CA 92868. ©2018 Argosy University. All rights reserved. Our email address is email@example.com.
See ge.argosy.edu/programoffering/665 for program duration, tuition, fees, and other costs, median debt, salary data, alumni success, and other important info.