A Day in the Life of an Online Student) 9/12/2011 <p><strong>By Guest Blogger</strong></p> <p><strong>Billie Jo Lister<br /></strong><strong>BA Psycho http://www.argosy.edu/our-community/blog/a-day-in-the-life-of-an-online-student

A Day in the Life of an Online Student

By Guest Blogger

Billie Jo Lister
BA Psychology Student at Argosy University

The alarm clock on my cell rings, and I reluctantly rouse from my slumber. I have much to do today. I sit up and catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror over the dresser. Holy cow! My curls are sticking out in every direction, giving their own personal salute to Pippi Longstocking. I groan and roll myself out of bed.

As I am preparing for the shower that will make me feel alive, the phone rings. I trip over the blanket trying to reach the phone and I bang my knee badly. My friend is calling to find out if I have time to run an errand for her. “Sure,” I say, “I have no life (eyes rolling).” She misses the sarcasm completely. I jump in the shower and mentally add her errand to my ever increasing to-do list. I jump out and grab the laundry. I start a load and grab an apple. I hit the door at a run so I won’t be late for my doctor’s appointment.

I pay bills online as I wait in his office. After the very frustrating wait, I leave with a new headache and another bill. I stop by the post office and then Staples to get more copy paper and ink. I run the errand for my friend and go shopping. I accidentally leave the store discount card in the car, so I broadcast my plight and borrow the lady’s card two aisles down from me. Thankfully, I am not easily embarrassed because as I am drawing all this attention to myself, and I realize I have left the house in bedroom slippers, over-sized, fuzzy-headed, lion slippers.

I come home and throw the clothes in the dryer. I replace the burnt out light bulb in the hall, the ink cartridges in the printer, and stick the beef stew I just bought in the crock pot. I sit down and boot up the old computer. I laugh as the pictures of my grandchild picking his nose dance across the screen. I log into my class and check out the new posts and the weekly assignments. I copy and paste them, as well as the lectures onto a desk top Word document for easier access as I work on them. I close out the program for now because I have lots to do. I fix a sandwich and vacuum the floor. I turn on the radio for some motivation. I know that I have to finish quickly. Somehow, dancing like a crazed lunatic makes the work go faster. I should conduct a correlation study to prove this.

Anyway, today I must finish the last chapter of my book so I can submit it by my deadline. I clean the bathroom, consider making the bed (I never really do this, but it is always a good thought), and fold the laundry. I answer the door and here is the grandbaby. Can I babysit? Sure, why not, I have nothing to do, right? Now I am engaged in a hearty game of car crashing fun my grandson calls destruction. We build Lego buildings and crash our cars into them. I take him for a walk and we collect leaves. We glue them on paper as we wait for his mother to return.

When he leaves, I grab my keys and run to the car. I have to meet the kid I tutor, then the one I mentor. I have these back to back. As I get to the school, I realize I still have on those ridiculous lion head slippers. Oh well, it is only elementary students, surely they will appreciate the humor of the absent-minded adult. Next, I run home and prepare supper. The kids come over and I feed them, wash the dishes, and then kick them out. Tough love can be so gratifying. I hurry down the road to give my 1 hour talk to the residents of the housing project. It is yet another volunteer thing I do, but it is a worthwhile project.

I come home and write the last chapter of my book. I hit submit and sigh. I click on the desktop document and figure out what topic to research for class. I open up EBSCOHOST and start my search for academic journals. I fall asleep in the middle of the third article, I can’t lie. I wake up after the crick in my neck starts (probably within 30 to 45 minutes). I stand and stretch. I give my computer some rude gestures and stick my tongue out. I get a cup of coffee and do a few jumping jacks to make my sleeping limbs wake up. I log back in and read the weekly reading in my textbook. I have a pretty good grasp of the information. Tomorrow I will write the discussion assignment. I will have a less busy day, so I can finish the assignment as well as the reading.

I am feeling pretty successful and accomplished. The phone rings and it is my sister-in-law. She wants to know if I would come over and help her do some deep cleaning. Her comments make me laugh; she says “You’re the only one who doesn’t have real work to do. Since you have so much free time now that you go to school online, I knew you’d be willing to help.” “Sure,” I chuckle “I have nothing better to do.” I wonder if anyone besides another online student understands the workload and responsibilities. I just shake my head and decide to give her two or three hours of my day tomorrow. I lie down and take some deep breaths to relax. I use techniques I learned in last semester’s class to help me relieve stress and sleep better. I visualize my life after school and smile as a feeling of true success and pride wash over me. I am really doing it; I am making my dreams come true.

Are you an Argosy University student interested in writing for this blog? Check the Welcome Center in the Campus Common to find out how!

arrow Return to Argosy Blog

  • Date {{filterMonth}}


  • 2019

Drop Us A Line!

Are you an expert on something that would be great for our blog?

Submit a post, and let us know what you have to say. Who knows, maybe we will share it with the world!

Submit a Post arrow
Request Info